S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 2.8 that I converted to a 3.4,
I use a 4.3 throttle body on a bored out 2.8 intake manifold, it has a throttle body spacer, standard exhaust manifold, no smog pump, or vacuum ball is installed. On a cold start it idles fine, after a min or two when it warms up, it surges, I can't seem to find any vacuum leak. Any ideas....

·
86' S-10
916 Posts
throw the 2.8 injectors in and dont drive it, just see if it does the same then report back

·
Registered
855 Posts
Any codes being set?
What ECM are you using?
What is the timing set at and did you disconnect that wire if you did adjust it?
Did you set the TPS to .5 vdc?
Is the EGR valve still hooked up or blocked off?
Are you ready to do some tuning to the eprom in the ECM for that set up to run properly? For example, that system is going to try to run the EGR when the parameters are set for it even if the EGR system is mechanically disabled.

I have the 4.3 throttle body with the 4.3 injectors on top of an Edelbrock manifold on top of the 3.4 also.

I am using the original 2.8 ECM, which is a 1228062 and have a heavily modified VE table as well as a spark table.

I don't care what anyone else may state, that crap isn't just plug and play.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check everything that you both suggested today after work, I am using the stock ECM, I don't know the number, will have to check that out. I believe the timing is at 8 degrees adv. not 100% on that, its been a few weeks since I set it, I believe I did pull the connector under the dash. I have not set the TPS by voltage, never really had an issue with that but will look into it. EGR is functional at this time, although I do want it removed. I ordered a cable to read the ECM data to have my chip burned but I assumed I need to get this surging situated before I read any data as to not give false readings, Like i said, I will check all these things as well, not sure if it matters but Im not running a cat either.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Having the cable is actually better in your case because you can see more of what is going on with the sensors and ECM.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That last pic shows a flag for the EST.

Check your pm's

·
Registered
855 Posts
Did you check your private messages?

·
Registered
817 Posts
were to get a cable to use that program ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
blazed2
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing