S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I should be getting Jason's new carrier bearing crossmember in the mail soon.

Some people had mentioned that shims need to be used for the installation. I thought it was a simple bolt on.

Does anyone know where the shims go, where I can buy the shims, and any other advice for installing the crossmember?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
They may be referring to shimming up the carrier bearing to help pinion angle and reduce vibrations. However most aftermarket carrier bearing crossmembers are already higher than stock, so no shims or less shimming is needed.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SlammedDime said:
Jason's x-member put the carrier bearing back in its stock location, so you would still need a shim for it.
Ok where does the shim go? Where can I buy one?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Shim goes between the x-member, and the carrier bearing, and you can hit up 'joe', cuz he makes 'em for forum members for like 15 bucks or so, or you can make your own.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok....sorry to keep buggin. How can I get a hold of Joe?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
That works too.

Joe is joe on the forum, thats why I put his name in quotes. You can prolly PM him if you want. His spacers are made from aluminum, with oval holes cut in them, so they fit different year dimes. He also includes some new grade 8 bolts with nyloc nuts.

·
Still waters run Deep
937 Posts
"joe" has a new name, do a search on Carrier Support Bearing shims and he should come up somewhere in there.

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
good stuff noddle slad..thats what i always say

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
joe is "Twin-10s" on the forum.

WTF is this shim for? I don't believe I have one.

·
Premium Member
16,419 Posts
zYgoTe said:
joe is "Twin-10s" on the forum.

WTF is this shim for? I don't believe I have one.
I dont have a shim either, however I do have the SSC one. But it's different than Jasons one.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
big_taki said:
by the way nick did you change up your set up to lay out now
The link, notches, and high lift comes after my tax return.

·
Still waters run Deep
937 Posts
the shim is mainly for extended cab owners who have lowered their trucks, it helps to even out the drive-shaft, and helps out ALOT to get the vibration to go away.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
ehhh, wrong. std cab longbed trucks have a 2 piece driveshaft so they will need the correct shim as well.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
3rdCoastCrawlin said:
the shim is mainly for extended cab owners who have lowered their trucks, it helps to even out the drive-shaft, and helps out ALOT to get the vibration to go away.
Well, my truck is pretty damn low, so do I need a shim, heh? Really the only vibration I get is from the front end not being aligned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts