S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
I think FBI makes em. I think door poppers would be the least of your problems. Those things require a lot of fabbing from what ive heard.

·
Registered
224 Posts
well...

I don't know of a kit either, and yeah, they take a bunch of fab work. Expect to pay around 2000 just to get the fab work done so they will open and close(and that doesn't include parts). Of course, someone will get on here and say how some yokel from the sticks will do it for about half of what I say, but remember you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
224 Posts
lets see...

you have to put a load bearing brace in the rear jamb, where the hinges will be, a pop brace(welded in) in the front jamb where the striker will be, and then there is a lot of time in lining it up so it opens and closes properly, or without looking ghettoed up, then you have to make sheet metal filler panels to fill the gaps. I know of the kit you are talking about, but let me tell you up front it WON'T work right. It is a universal one, and is actually meant for older cars, which have a totally different style of jamb. I could tell you how to do it, but unless you are an EXTREMELY capable bodyman, I'd say save your money and have it done professionally. When you start cutting on a cab like that, it's not like shaving handles or anything, youre talking about your trucks structure, and one wrong cut, or one incorrectly welded brace, and you are looking at buying new doors, or worse yet- a new cab!!(Ive seen it happen). We did an extended cab 97 fullsize, and the local wannabe custom guy saw it and said to the guy" I could do that for 500 bucks, you got ripped off!!" Well, the guy with the fullsizes buddy wanted it done, and even though he loved the job we did, he kept saying how this guy would do it for 500. He took it there, and after the guy yanked the doors off it, he proceeded to cut the front and rear jambs out-at the same time- without putting in a brace to make sure it maintains shape. Guess what happened? The roof buckled, and the firewall did a little also, then the guy tried to fix all of that stuff(hahaha). He ended up taking it to a body shop, where they replaced pretty much the entire cab...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts