S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gauges do not indicate overheating. Just up and quits, period. Starts right up after an hour or two. I let it run in the driveway and 15 mins. later it makes a few bad sounds and dies. No hurries i am taking my time on this one. Thanks for any thoughts on this problem.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If it's a 96+ 4.3L, put a diagnostic device on it and see if if dies right as it switches from open loop to closed loop. That should be a clue that there's a problem with one of your sensors - IAT, MAF, MAP or O2. Or maybe with the IAC, but I'd start with the others.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
98 blazer zr2 with a donor 4.3 from a 2000 astrovan. I did notice while working on it my # 1 plug wire had been burned thru due probably to my not reinstalling the hear shields. I still have the coil from my 98 can I try it and see what happens? I also am replacing the bad plug wire with one from the other motor. Thanks for your input. I kind of hoped you would chime in.

·
Registered
813 Posts
98 blazer zr2 with a donor 4.3 from a 2000 astrovan. I did notice while working on it my # 1 plug wire had been burned thru due probably to my not reinstalling the hear shields. I still have the coil from my 98 can I try it and see what happens? I also am replacing the bad plug wire with one from the other motor. Thanks for your input. I kind of hoped you would chime in.
Doesn't sound like a coil problem to me, but swapping parts you have on hand is a good way to see if something changes. A burned plug wire wouldn't explain the 15-minute countdown to death. I always run the heat shields. They can be a PITA to set up so you can get a socket on both plugs on the two-plug shields, but they provide the plug caps with longevity that they won't have otherwise, so I do it. Aside: Did you swap out your engine mounts? Every time I swap an engine, it needs new mounts. I mean, if they weren't separated, I'd leave them alone, but mine are always split apart.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,404 Posts
Doesn't sound like a coil problem to me, but swapping parts you have on hand is a good way to see if something changes. Every time I swap an engine, it needs new mounts. I mean, if they weren't separated, I'd leave them alone, but mine are always split apart.
This is true. and you are 100% correct. The 4.3 mounts are junk. The 2.8 mounts are superior for sure.

When it stalls, does it just shut off like you turned the key off? What I would do is when it stalls, turn the key to on and see if you hear the pump running. My guess is that you won't. I had a pump on a 2001 fail in a similar way. Run ok for about 15 minutes and stall. Sometimes start right back up, and sometimes not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Doesn't sound like a coil problem to me, but swapping parts you have on hand is a good way to see if something changes. A burned plug wire wouldn't explain the 15-minute countdown to death. I always run the heat shields. They can be a PITA to set up so you can get a socket on both plugs on the two-plug shields, but they provide the plug caps with longevity that they won't have otherwise, so I do it. Aside: Did you swap out your engine mounts? Every time I swap an engine, it needs new mounts. I mean, if they weren't separated, I'd leave them alone, but mine are always split apart.
yup, i bought new mounts because they were split. regarding the "15 min countdown to death" (i got a laugh outta that) that sounds plausible because i went to do a compression test because i was thinking i may have a blown head gasket, due to the fact i had some water dripping from my exhaust pipe. When i went to relieve the pressure on my fuel line, not much came out, not like i was prepared for anyways. Today i will get it back together and give that a try. As for your first answer, holy **** i had no idea there were that many sensors involved. Thanks for your input, it helps and gives me hope. Have a great day.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,193 Posts
ok- you should have a little clear water dripping off and on from exhaust- the cat makes water vapor. ?? is the check engine light coming on and setting codes? have you checked?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is true. and you are 100% correct. The 4.3 mounts are junk. The 2.8 mounts are superior for sure.

When it stalls, does it just shut off like you turned the key off? What I would do is when it stalls, turn the key to on and see if you hear the pump running. My guess is that you won't. I had a pump on a 2001 fail in a similar way. Run ok for about 15 minutes and stall. Sometimes start right back up, and sometimes not.
okay, i put it back together this AM. It ran for almost an hour b4 it died. It is alot cooler out today not sure if that has anything to do with it. Regarding your answer, the pump was running after i waited a couple of minutes, so i thought maybe it is the fuel filter. the book said every 30,000 miles replace it. i have had the truck for three years now and i never replaced it. Sooo now is a good a time as ever. I got it out and tried blowing thru it, not happening. There are no markings whatsoever on it so i am thinking it could possibly be the original. going to the store in a little bit and get a brand new filter. it is not fixed yet but thanks to the people offering up ideas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
th
okay, i put it back together this AM. It ran for almost an hour b4 it died. It is alot cooler out today not sure if that has anything to do with it. Regarding your answer, the pump was running after i waited a couple of minutes, so i thought maybe it is the fuel filter. the book said every 30,000 miles replace it. i have had the truck for three years now and i never replaced it. Sooo now is a good a time as ever. I got it out and tried blowing thru it, not happening. There are no markings whatsoever on it so i am thinking it could possibly be the original. going to the store in a little bit and get a brand new filter. it is not fixed yet but thanks to the people offering up ide
okay, i put it back together this AM. It ran for almost an hour b4 it died. It is alot cooler out today not sure if that has anything to do with it. Regarding your answer, the pump was running after i waited a couple of minutes, so i thought maybe it is the fuel filter. the book said every 30,000 miles replace it. i have had the truck for three years now and i never replaced it. Sooo now is a good a time as ever. I got it out and tried blowing thru it, not happening. There are no markings whatsoever on it so i am thinking it could possibly be the original. going to the store in a little bit and get a brand new filter. it is not fixed yet but thanks to the people offering up ideas.
the filter was plugged to the max, would that burn up my fuel pump? i didn't follow your directions exactly (i see that now) tomm. i will try it your way. it needed a new filter no matter what so at least i did not throw money away. things that make me go hmmm. thanks.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
572 Posts
I had a problem with my s10 dying after a certain amount driving or sitting still idling. it would just cut off, then would need to cool of for it to run again. I replaced my coil and ICM and they didn't fix the problem. It turned out to be my crank sensor would stop working once everything came up to temp. Swpped the sensor from another engine, and now it works great without issues

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok- you should have a little clear water dripping off and on from exhaust- the cat makes water vapor. ?? is the check engine light coming on and setting codes? have you checked?
0339. The book
I had a problem with my s10 dying after a certain amount driving or sitting still idling. it would just cut off, then would need to cool of for it to run again. I replaced my coil and ICM and they didn't fix the problem. It turned out to be my crank sensor would stop working once everything came up to temp. Swpped the sensor from another engine, and now it works great without issues
thanks, i am getting a 0339 code. my Chilton for S10's s series 94-01 covers 0335-0338 skips 0339 then starts again covering 40,41 and 42. They all cover, tada, the crankshaft position sensor. I will start looking around the garage this morning to see if i can find the one that came off the old 4.3 i took out of my truck. The symptoms you describe are identical to what i am having. Thanks for your input, helps alot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks 👍 that did the trick. I put about 25 miles on it so far. It wouldn't do 5 before. Appreciate the advice very much. What a relief.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks 👍 that did the trick. I put about 25 miles on it so far. It wouldn't do 5 before. Appreciate the advice very much. What a relief.
Thanks for sharing "that worked." And thanks to leoman924 for recognizing the problem and identifying it for you. I wouldn't have thought of that and now I know a thing to look for in the future.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,404 Posts
Good deal. That was definitely similar to the problem I had. But the back story on this was that I had put some bad gas in my truck. 2004. Fuel pump went out. I let the dealer deal with it since I didn't want to deal with the bed removal. Sold me a deal with lifetime warranty on parts AND labor. Used to work at the gas station next door too, so they hooked me up wholesale on the part. After I picked it up, I noted that they hadn't drained the bad gas from the truck. Swell. About a week into the truck would start stalling when left idling for a few minutes (after 45 minutes of driving). It would make a whining noise and I knew it was going to stall. Almost got me smashed more than once like that. Fine as long as you were driving. It was idling that was the issue. If it idled and it started whining? It was going to quit. I took it back to the dealer like 4 times. They told me nothing was wrong with it. I EXPLAINED it had to be running for about 45 minutes for this to start occurring. The last time I took it up there, it literally stalled in the drive up area...in FRONT of the service writer that kept insisting that there was nothing wrong. I wanted to strangle that fat bastard. Dude...it literally just stalled...in front of you. So they dicked around with it for a couple of days...Guess what. "Nothing wrong with it". Figuring I'm going to have to SUE them to fix it, I took the truck back. It continued to stall. This was so long ago that getting a video wasn't an easy task. Back then I worked for a pizza place and I had left the truck running outside in Alabama scorching summer heat with the air on. I came back out...whining...about to stall. In anger, I sat my orders down, crawled under the truck and struck the tank as hard as I could. The pump made a little noise...like...veeeeeeep, and the noise stopped. It never did it again. My guess is that dirty gas had clogged the return line which cools the pump. It wasn't getting enough fuel to keep it cool, and I dislodged it? Who knows.... Really made me mad they wouldn't even try to fix it, despite buttoning my truck up with 3/4 a tank of bad gasoline that ruined the pump to start with. In hindsight I should have refused the truck until they cleaned the tank out. Idiots.

Fast forward 2009. Six years later. Pump fails. Starts doing that thing yours did. 15 minutes it would fall on its face, or it wouldn't start, or it would run poorly. Threw all kinds of false codes. Diagnosed as pump. Took it back to the same dealer to collect the "lifetime parts and labor" warranty. That worm ridden piece of garbage writer was still there. And the service manager was even worse. He refused to honor the warranty because I got the part wholesale (They did that to help me...i didn't ask for them to do that). Refused...even though I had a piece of paperwork that said exactly what they had said, lifetime parts and labor... I had to go to Chevy satisfaction to finally get it honored. Still wound up paying for the labor because there was NO way they were touching my truck there again. Jerks. I like to buy things "as is" now. Why? Cause I don't want to fight people to get things fixed. I'd rather pay $1000 out of pocket to fix something than to fight with dealerships.

Glad you guys got it fixed. Just throwing that in there as a side note.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts