S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tossing my bowling balls
350 Posts
If your going to build one your own, I would build it off the required specs of the woofers. Prefabbed boxes and generic plans don't account subwoofer displacement/size requirements.

42,008 Posts
In my opinion the best box for xcabs is the jumpseat box that was produced once upon a time....for a short time. Stealth also made a box back in the day that allowed both jumpseats to still function.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone have any sub box designs/blueprints for an 03 ext cab s10
Probably won’t help, but I have a 2 12 ported box in the back of my ext cab. It fits well and there is room under it for a few thing and still room on the side of it for my second battery and amp.

42,008 Posts
I actually bought a hatchback box and made ends for it that turned it into a down firing box that sat tight against the back wall. Well, as close as I could get it without removing the jack holder bracket.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a write up on here of a guy who installed a low pro loaded box in one of the jump seats. He can still fold up to hide the sub and fold it down for boom booms. Not eardrum popping boom booms like me. But booms none the less😁

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Does anyone have any sub box designs/blueprints for an 03 ext cab s10
Without any more info on what you are trying to do, this is a hard question to answer. Are you wanting to build a wall of 10 12s? or a small sealed box for 1 6.5" sundown?
Are you trying to wake the dead, or just add more depth to your music?
I'm a basshead, and planning a wall with 2 15s for my silverado, so my box design will be way different than yours.
Just need more input from you.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Without any more info on what you are trying to do, this is a hard question to answer. Are you wanting to build a wall of 10 12s? or a small sealed box for 1 6.5" sundown?
Are you trying to wake the dead, or just add more depth to your music?
I'm a basshead, and planning a wall with 2 15s for my silverado, so my box design will be way different than yours.
Just need more input from you.
Today's wolfers are not as forgiving as the ones from the '80s and '90s to early 2000. Box too small sounds like crap box too big still sounds like crap box not ported it sounds like crap. And a good box design program helps also like term-pro and others. And if it's not blurring your vision or you're not having a hard time breathing it's not bass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can help you a little I think,I have a 2003 extreme xtra cab with a small system,I used to build and install custom systems for cars and trucks.I am retired now but I maybe able to impart some usable advice.First while it's ok to listen to people's advice who do not have a lot of experience, you will find most of it is misguided and misunderstood.Believe me you get pretty tired of people who would rather set off car alarms rather than listen to accurately reproduced music.Someone said anything not ported is crap, it's a lie! Figure out what you really want in a system and how much you have to spend work from there. While woofer size is a factor it's not a hard fast rule,a drivers Xmax and efficiency are important. Based on your vehicle a 10 or 12 inch driver is probably about right. Look for one w a efficiency of 87db 1w 1meter or better, a cab of your size has a insignificant amount of natural low frequency equalization,also know as cabin gain.Get a dual voice coil woofer if you can, it's a driver that allows a lot of installation flexibility. Amplification can be mono for bass frequencies but try to keep your crossover setting lower than 140hz or so 200 to 400 watts RMS is more than adequate providing you power amp w correctly sized wire,both positive and ground!My system is totally custom including amps that I built ,you can use that hollow area if you remove that useless jump seat to increase box volume and keep the box behind passenger seat smaller, but that's an odd shape box But I figure you are building this box yourself anyway.If you need more in depth help you can email me @ [email protected] .I probably have 30 or 40 woofers lying around so if you can't find a woofer that's fits your needs at a reasonable price reach out.Good luck George

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,346 Posts
Leaving your email out there for all the scammers is not a good idea. Either of you can pm each other for info.

Reactions: bk2life

·
Registered
3 Posts
Being that this might qualify for a current discussion, I thought would show my example of "just add more depth to your music " as was quoted by someone else. 3/4" MDF cut using a contour gauge (to act like a sealed box), low profile 12" woofer, stealth, and jump seats are still functional. Amp feeds doors and is bridged to woofer. Loud enough with clean/low bass inside, but nothing to show off outside the vehicle. Did this over 10 years ago, prior owner had already cut off jack holder for a similar system.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Car Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts