S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new to this forum.

Has anyone any experience, if gen1 and gen2 subframes are interchangeable? It started almost a year ago with a 88 2 door Blazer barn find, it has a 2.8 4x4 with no front diff and axles. Last week I bought a differential, it came with a mint 2nd gen car, that has been rolled over and had around 30k original miles on it.

As the donor car's chassis is in much better condition, than mine, the crazy idea came up, to switch the bodies, put a gen1 body on a gen2 chassis, rather than switching the diff, half axles, brakes and other stuff one by one.
Both cars are 4x4 2 doors, 1988 and 2000ish

Anyone done this before?

·
Administrator
20,822 Posts
Well...it might come down to a tape measure and a lot of pics. I don't know of anything for a 1st gen.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
299 Posts
Looking at the part numbers for the frames, they are not the same so they are not technically interchangeable. They are similar though and with some ingenuity and determination, anything is possible... so they say. Probably be more work than it's worth, but I wouldn't really know

·
Been there Done it
6,266 Posts
There will be some differences on the front bumper mounts when using that new of a frame. Not hard to cut and weld the ends while you have the frames striped.

·
time to get cereal
1,980 Posts
You're going to need to do some rewiring for the body harness too, keep most of the switchgear from the newer model since it is BCM controlled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
manbearpig
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing