S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
91 S-10 Pickup 4x4
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 16 gauge wire be fine for a Pioneer GM-5100T amp hooked up to a Kicker CompVR12?
380watts RMSx1 @ 4ohms?
760 watts max

·
Registered
94 Posts
91S104x4 said:
Will 16 gauge wire be fine for a Pioneer GM-5100T amp hooked up to a Kicker CompVR12?
380watts RMSx1 @ 4ohms?
760 watts max
i would reccomend 4 gauge wiring or something like that. i have it in my blazer and i have no regrets. if you use 16 gauge wiring , you might not have enough juice. hope this helps somewhat.

·
91 S-10 Pickup 4x4
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sorry,I meant 16 gauge from the amp to the sub

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
lol both of you have the same avatar.:haha: :haha:

i got 8 guage speaker wire running from my amp to the sub

·
91 S-10 Pickup 4x4
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right now, im running 16 gause on my 235W RMS amp powering a 10'' Xplode and it hits pretty dam hard. 16 gauge should be adequate.

·
UNBANNED BITCHES!!
2,007 Posts
slammed03s_dime said:
i got 8 guage speaker wire running from my amp to the sub
i also use 8 gauge SPEAKER wire for my subs.....:p
both my sub AND amp have 8 guage terminals......

use whatever the terminals allow you to use without trimming the wire

·
Registered
325 Posts
16 gage is fine.

·
AWD > j00
3,357 Posts
TnHombre said:
i also use 8 gauge SPEAKER wire for my subs.....
WOW!, so what are you running about 40,000 watts:haha:

use whatever size wire the terminals allow for, neat, did a salesman tell you that while leading you to the $2.08 a foot 8 guage wire:p

it's ok, there was a time I didn't know any better either

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
WhiteZQ8 said:
the power wire rules don't apply to speaker wire, the signal your subs get from the amp is AC, not DC, 16 guage is just fine

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf
WhiteZQ8 is right, running 8ga speaker wire is a total waste. Do something like that only for looks, if you must. If you think spending the extra $ on that big of speaker wire will gain any performance, you are mistaken. ;)

But the reason you dont need as large of speaker wire isn't because its an AC signal (which it is), its because the voltage is much higher on the output side of the amplifier than on the input side. After all that's what your amplifier amplifies.... voltage. Higher voltage always means greater wire capacity given a specific wire gauge (or iow, smaller wire for the same amount of power).

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
unless you need 8 guage wire. and are running 30,000 watts to one sub.

I think Scottie J. is running 8 gauge or was, i think he thought of some idea to run 0 gauge but never got around to hooking it up.

·
Registered
606 Posts
im running 8 guage also but, thats cause im not going to run 10k plus through 16 gauge wire, and i have a spool of 16 gauge, and spools of 8 gauge and 4 laying around and wasnt about to go out and buy any more wire

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
s10FoxRida125 said:
the lower the guage the better. theres never such thing as too low
Its this type of mentality that gets poeple worried they have to run 8ga wire with their 500 watt amp/sub setup. There is such a thing as too big of wire, if its a complete waste. Yes guys, if you are Scotty Johnson running 30,000 watts, knock yourself out. But we aren't discussing untra high-end SPL rigs, we are discussing a DD system with 380 watts. 14 or even 16ga would be sufficient, if you want overkill to be sure, run 12ga. Suggesting anything more than that is asking the guy to waste his money that could better spent elsewhere.

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
16ga is fine for what you have. if you ever go bigger the largest wire you may ever need would be 10ga speaker wire. but that is unlikely

·
s10 en it up
314 Posts
audioholic said:
Its this type of mentality that gets poeple worried they have to run 8ga wire with their 500 watt amp/sub setup. There is such a thing as too big of wire, if its a complete waste. Yes guys, if you are Scotty Johnson running 30,000 watts, knock yourself out. But we aren't discussing untra high-end SPL rigs, we are discussing a DD system with 380 watts. 14 or even 16ga would be sufficient, if you want overkill to be sure, run 12ga. Suggesting anything more than that is asking the guy to waste his money that could better spent elsewhere.
ya i wasent mainly referring to this case, what i was tlaking about was for power and ground wires etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts