S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
What next??
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Well last weekend I put a new amp in my buddys car...now im by no means and 'expert' or anything, but i've done a couple systems including mine so i at least know what im doing...well this kid calls me up tonight and tells me one sub quit working, he says he noticed to little melted marks on the cone where the wires connect to it i guess...he also says it just makes noises when it hits, so i know its blown...the subs are mtx thunder 6000s 4ohm SVC and the amp is a jbl bp600.1, he says the subs are about three years old...my question is, what causes the burn marks like that? is it something i could have prevented it, i feel kinda bad cause this is this kids second amp, just bought the new one and now a sub blows..oh, i also had the gain set pretty low, only about a little more then 1/3 of the way up..thanks - Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
first off "F" MTX.... next subs just sometimes just blow... he probably separated the the spider so thats why it still moves around but sound like shit!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Well the burn marks could have been from a short. My guess is the voice coil started to unravel and shorted to the pole or mag. Box size has a lot to do with power handling so if the box is small sealed, you may have had to much power goin to it, or maybe the hole system was turned up to high. Then again it could just be from age

1 - 3 of 3 Posts