S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I need more cow bell!!!
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i am about to put a turbo on my 4.3. It is a stock motor internal and out. I want to run at least 10psi. Is that to much for a stocker. I think i need to mod out my tranny too, what all do i have to do to beef up my tranny decent. Also i know it is different in other areas, but does any one know a ball park price someone would charge to install a turbo on a 4.3L.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
TRT (texas rear turbo) has done a 4.3 Blazer Xtreme turbo and I think it was around 3000. A beefed trans will cost anywhere from 1000 to infinite dependant on what you want done to it. 10 psi should be good on a stock bottom end. You'll need atleast several hundred dollars worth of parts and labor done to your fuel system too.

For my trans, I got a bigger sunshell, upped line pressure, I think some stronger clutches, band upgrade, vette servos, shift kit, and a few other odds and ends and it cost me 1000. This was through a friend and other trans shops quoted me at 1500 ish for the same work.

As you can see, its definitely not a "just bolt on the turbo" operation.

·
I cant win for loosing.
3,226 Posts
Well first thing I notice is your name ''nitrous junkie''. If you already have nitrous installed, and you want to go turbo, be very carefull to not use to much spray. You will need more than the manifolds, xover, and turbo to do this right. Your fuel system in stock trim wont support 10 psi, you will need at a minium to get a FMU(vortec, cartech).

You will also want to think about getting more injectors, and an extra injector controller. Using the FMU only will max out your stock injectors pretty quick,and they are not upgradeable, you wont be able to fuel it properly. The best solution is an edelbrock 2114 manifold for the carbed 4.3 that is modified to accept rails, and injectors, but its kinda pricey.

Your stock tranny will hold alot of power, its the same one from that years corvette auto, if you have the auto. If you have a 5 spd, I have no idea. You will want all or most of the stuff mentioned above for the tranny, it can handle it stock. but it wont shift good at all.

If you plan on drag racing, you may want to look into a line lock for the front brakes, a 2800-3200(your choice) stall converter, and some stickier tires. As well as a custom grind turbo cam to make the most of your addition.

And last but not least, your going to want to run an intercooler at those pressure levels, or you will be too close to problems with hot intake air for my comfort zone, but its your truck.

TRT turbo did a remote mount install on a blaze as mentioned above for a little under 3k, but they slapped the turbo on and did some tuning and that was it. It made 212 hp and 240 tq I think at the wheels, but it was running way lean cause they didnt do any fuel system modification, and he said it could have easily made 250, 300 with proper fueling and an intercooler, and more boost. That was from a T3 at 4.5 psi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts