S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy differential and tranny fluid. But how much do I need for the NV1500 and the LSD rearend? a quart? a gallon? five gallons? Thanx in advance, this is just the first time I've changed these in my truck

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
is this the truck in your sig? kinda early to be worrying about those.
but the amout you need will be in the book that came with your truck.in capacities for trans. and rear end.
the manual trans. on a 4.3 is a nv3500 just so you know. the nv1500 is the one for a 2.2
and there are no stupid question. better to ask then make a mistake.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Like the post above say's.. It's a little early. Unless you have about 20,000 miles on it or you beat the sh*t out of it you can do more harm than good. Any less than this and the metal will not have a chance to form a seat against each other. Also, Does the truck have a locker?. If so be sure to use only GM part # 1052271 and do not add any friction modifiers. As far as capacities go, For the rear you will see a drain plug on the diff cover. the correct level is when you can stick your pinky in and by bending it just touch the diff fluid. Old school but it works. Same for manual tranny. As far as the automatics go it's 5 quarts on a drain and refill. Non locking rear uses 90 weight gear oil. Again no additive. Manual will use a good synchromesh gear lubricant. . Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think any of our trucks came with lockers, just LSDs. The option code is G80 if that helps. And I would be replacing the fluids with Redline 75W90 for the diff and MTL for the tranny. Both recommended by Redline to work with the said parts.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Dont know about the ZQ's but my 02 Blazer X has a 3:42 rear w/ Locker from the dealer. Just some info was trying to help. As far as the Redline Fluids go....Same stuff different bottle. How many miles did you say were on your truck. Might want to look into stuff before you spend the money. Just some info hope it helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts