S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
poop
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do some 3 way components in my truck (non s10) and I kinda like the alphasonik PCT6551 set which has a 6.5", 5.25", 1"tweet, and a 3 way crossover. The specs say they're 4ohm per voice coil but I was wondering how much load this would be per channel at the amp. I thought it would be 2ohms but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
typically they are 4ohms. The crossover does all the wiring for you so you dont have to worry about the final impedance.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
If the specs say it's 4 ohms on a passive system, then it's 4 ohms. If you use an active crossover system, then you go by what each speaker's impedance is since the amp is directly driving the speakers.

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
are you looking to be loud, or actually sound good? 2 sets of components is a nightmare to get it to sound good. sound stage, time alignment, and just aiming all the speakers is a lot of work. The more speakers you have, the harder it is to control.

·
poop
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd rather have sound quality over loudness, however I'd like to get an alphasonik psw912 down the road so it'd be nice if the components were loud enough to compliment the sub.
The 6.5s and 5.25s in the 3-way set are the same ones in the 2-way sets, so I'd really only be adding a tweeter to each channel. Would that make it that much more difficult to tune? I'm not building a competition truck or anything, I just want a decent setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts