S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was about to install my 3" coils and new drop shocks when I noticed that I couldn't get the top shock bolt off!

I've tryed just about everything...

First I started w/ a normal socket then figuring out that the socket was just moving the shaft too.

Then I tryed a open-end wrench, and some plyers.

Then I got my friends elec. impact and it just spun the shaft too...

So I ended up trying a saws-all.... but I could only find a wood blade and that dulled REALLY quick!

ok, so now I am here...
Trucks on a jack, top bolt of the shock is the only thing holding me back... I allready got the two lower control arm bolts out, and it's just being held on by the shock now!

PLEASE HELP ME! I work everyday and I need my truck... I hate having to get rides!!

ANY INFO would be GREAT!!!

Thanks

Jake
[email protected]

N

·
0 Posts
So I am guessing u didn't loosen them before you put the truck up on jack stands. I just used a saw zaw on mine cause I for got. What I would do is go buy u blade that will cut metal and hack those thing off.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
If you can try to get a set of vise grips on the shaft that is what I did.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
djdaudio said:
If you can try to get a set of vise grips on the shaft that is what I did.
I can't even see the shaft..... It's still compressed....

·
Registered
484 Posts
:blaugh:
I was doing the same thing today,putting my 3" coils in
that top bolt just spins had to break the nut off
(still not done) 8pm now

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
If you jack up the front you should see the shaft?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
djdaudio said:
If you jack up the front you should see the shaft?
Where in the front??? Right now I have a jack right behind the left wheel, and one holding up the lower control arm...

I think I'm just going to go get a metal blade for the saws-all in the morning... and chop the hell off the top bolt....

Thanks for the info...

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
If you put the frame on a jack stand and drop the a arm down You will see the shock shaft and you will be able to get it with grips. best of luck! I had 2 rusted lower bolts one broke the outher I cut and my top one I had to use vise grips.

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
I had the same problem today worked on it for at least 3 or 4 hours. I still can't figure out how to get the bolt off. Please someone help!!! I don't want to cut the shaft that would mean I would have to get new shocks, I am a poor man I already spent enough on the lowering kit!. Is the reason this is happening is because I tried to remove the shock after I lifted the truck up on jacks. Please someone help. please.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
If you are good you can drill a small hole in the top of the shock shaft above the nut then place an AWL in the hole and remove the nut. If you grind down the hole nice the nut will go over it no problem!

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
Man... I had no problems taking my shock off. it was the original one form 95 with 140,000 mile son it... use alot of PB blaster

·
Autocross'n Member
363 Posts
mustard's right.You guy's need to use some penatrating lubricant like pb or wd.I sprayed the sh*t out of the shaft and was able to hold it with vise grips and turn the nut with an open end wrench.It only took like 10 min per side in the front.The only problem I ran into was I broke one of the threaded spring clips trying to remove the bolt from the bottom of the control arm.Thank God Autozone sells those things.Now that they're all on,I am lovin my new Konis:thumbup:

·
a forever endeavor
127 Posts
ive changed a million shocks. grab a long series ...15 mm ???? and snap it. bend it. grab vuse grips on the nut if u have to and snap it. its rusted face it. its not gonna thread off like new. either heat it up (which is dangerous) grind it off (which is also dangerous) or snap it. drilling is an option but its makin a real task out of hte job.i was told to use deep penetrating grease. buts its like...why take the time for such a small job. its like a 20 min job max. sorry for hte argument, but its to save time lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts