S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Sonoma 4.3l vin z that's tbi. Recently replaced fuel filter, dist. Cap, rotor bug, icm, map sensor, cleaned throttle body, egr valve, and plugs. Since then it's been running great until I took a trip this weekend and it stumbled once on the way there on the interstate but didn't die and then drove fine for the rest of the weekend. Then right before I was leaving started stumbling again at steady acceleration and quit. Made the 2 hour drive back home with no problems and then on the way to work this morning it started doing it again and even died on me at a stoplight but started right back up. Think it could possibly be time for new wires but I'm not sure if that's the problem here. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. TIA

·
Been there Done it
6,914 Posts
Could be a lot of things. Hard to diagnose an intermittent condition via the interwebnet.
Doubt very much it is the plug wires. Sounds more like and issue in the primary wiring. Or fuel?
Look at the coil in the dark with it idling and see if it's throwing little lightning bolts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I hear ya just figured it's worth a shot maybe someone could point me the right direction. Will definatly give that a try tonight. Thanks man

·
UnderDawg
17 Posts
I have a 95 Sonoma 4.3l vin z that's tbi. Recently replaced fuel filter, dist. Cap, rotor bug, icm, map sensor, cleaned throttle body, egr valve, and plugs. Since then it's been running great until I took a trip this weekend and it stumbled once on the way there on the interstate but didn't die and then drove fine for the rest of the weekend. Then right before I was leaving started stumbling again at steady acceleration and quit. Made the 2 hour drive back home with no problems and then on the way to work this morning it started doing it again and even died on me at a stoplight but started right back up. Think it could possibly be time for new wires but I'm not sure if that's the problem here. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. TIA
Distributor Module may be going, under the cap and rotor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I cleaned the fuel pump ground and that did nothing. Just took the throttle body apart about a month and cleaned it good and the regulator spring was in good shape then. Also around that time I changed the ignition control module. Is that what you were talking about under dawg? Had a mechanic friend of mine tell me the fuel pumps are pretty notorious for going out and that he thinks that might be the problem. Either that or I'm thinking maybe that icm is already going out for some reason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Usually going down the highway is when it acts like it wants to die... sometimes it lasts long enough that I start looking for a place to pull over but if I push the clutch in and give it gas the rpms jump back up and it's good to go. Also noticing it's been kinda sluggish so all that leads me to believe it's a week fuel pump

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope still doing it changed the fuel pump and that helped it a little but still not fixed. Have kinda just given up on it for now

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
796 Posts
ok- food for thought- did not see where or if you changed the plug wires- or possibly a partial cat melt down.- try wires wires- if that doesn't help we will move on to next steps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The plugs and wires have both been changed may have failed to mention that. And there is not cat on it

·
Been there Done it
6,914 Posts
put your old distributor cap back on if you still have it
Are you suggesting that a new part could be bad? In 2019 that's nearly impossible.
Yes, I'm being sarcastic. 50% of new parts today are bad. I'd check every new part you put on it so far.
I can't count the number of times I've chased my tail because of bad "new" parts. I find when doing diagnostics it's better to use known good used working parts from a vehicle running correctly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a similar issue on a v8 tbi, turned out to be a spotty iac motor. also had a throttle position sensor go bad that gave me odd acceleration issues under load.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts