S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I void warranties
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i make the call to sts. i was wondering if ne one has gotten the underdrive pulleys and then regretted it?

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
if you have other mods ive heard they will help alot more that just alone, but ya gotta start somewhere so go for it. i havent seen any posts about them being bad

·
Kurrupted Kreations
3,837 Posts
i hav them on my 01 X and barely noticed n e performance gain. But, at idle, my alternator doesnt charge very well. thats about it.

·
planning and saving
1,400 Posts
Biggest thing I've noticed was driving and turning the A/C on. Before these it would drag the truck down and I'd feel the truck stutter a little bit when I turned it on. Now I don't notice it. I've also noticed I can actually speed up faster going down the freeway so passing isn't AS pathetic. I bought mine on ebay for $118 after shipping. Check my other posts to find the link.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just started modding my 99 2.2L regular cab and so far all I've done is a CGS intake and the STS underdrive pulleys. I did the intake and the pulleys about a week apart and the difference with the underdrive pulleys is noticable. My truck is zippier (hey, it's just a 4 banger, LOL) and I can accelarate up a hill by my house in 3rd gear that used to bog me down to 2nd gear. I was concerened about charging and engine cooling before the mod but I haven't had any problems with either at any rpm.

Also, one bit of advice; remove the upper half of your fan shroud to make room to work and use an impact wrench to remove and replace the alternator pulley. It's a complete P.I.T.A. without one. I removed my stock alternator pulley with a breaker bar, a T50 torx bit (actually TWO T50 bits), some liquid wrench, and blow torch. But you can't tighten the new pulley enough without an impact wrench and it needs to be tight! Make a mental note of the amount of thread you have exposed past the nut before you remove the stock pulley and make sure the new one is seated the same amount. Also, when installing the new pulley, you can't fit a 24mm impact socket inside of it; the area inside the pulley for the nut is too small. I used a good quality, six point regular 24mm socket on the impact wrench, wore safety glasses and kept my pretty face out of the way! And it went well. It's about an hour job with an impact wrench and well worth the time and money. See if you can talk the guy on ebay down about ten bucks and let us know how it goes.

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
yea i ran into the socket not fitting problem and had to borrow one. my 95's size was a 15/16...

i got my alternater pulley off with channel locks and a 15/16 socket on a breaker bar...

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts

·
Sans S10
2,484 Posts
How much are they and how hard are they to install?

·
KC0TRP
62 Posts
Just put mine in last night. Took about an hour with and impact and fairly amount of beer consumption. I can't say that I really feel a whole lot of power difference in it but my engine doesn't bog at all when I have the A/C on. I'll have to see if there is a change in gas mileage at all over the next few tanks.

Now I'm thinking the next 2 mods will be the efan and the corvette servo.

·
Registered
377 Posts
depending on how you drive you should see a small gain in mpg (1 maybe 2) which means they will pay for themselves in no time

·
KC0TRP
62 Posts
depending on how you drive you should see a small gain in mpg (1 maybe 2) which means they will pay for themselves in no time
Yeah i'm thinking going 300 miles out to school will be when I see the difference. Right now my 20 mile round trip commutes to work it prolly won't see anything since I have to jump on a 4 lane both ways in a bad spot and usually end up shifting out of 1st and 2nd at around 4500 so I don't get blown off the road :)

If nothing else I am happy with atleast being able to run my A/C without having my engine become an even worse dog.

·
planning and saving
1,400 Posts
I just filled up and I calculated around 27 miles to the gallon. I drive 13 miles to work and 15 to school. It's 65 half way and 45 the other half. The pulleys have helped out a lot. I think they did better than 2mpg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts