S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stripping everything out (dash, door panels, headliner, etc.) of the interior of my 88 S10. I plan on making a sheetmetal dash and door panels. The truck will very rarely be street driven.

Question is, would I have any problems using HVAC sheet metal duct to make the dash and panels? Duct metal is very lightweight, I can get it cheap (maybe free), and it's easy to form/bend by hand. Obviously function is more important than form.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
It will work but remember if it is very easy to bend by hand...it will be easy to bend with feet I.E getting in and out of ure truck....girl gets pissed and puts her foot through the dash....it will work, but it would prolly be easier to use 20 gauge or something like that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got_20s said:
Painting duct work isn't the best either. The paint doesn't adhere well to the galzanized metal. It'll scratch very easily.
Good point, but I probably won't paint it anyhow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
your best best is to use sheet steel or aluminum, but the steel might be more durable (my engineering experience). Whatever you chose the best place to get it if you can't find material locally is www.mcmastercarr.com

They'll hook your right up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but most likely what you would want to do is mock it up with cardbaord before you begin cutting and shaping. -Always worked for me rather well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts