S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There’s a lot of what if’s and are things going right here after this 2 day long clutch job /carrier bearing replacement.
2002 s10 v6 5 speed “Assuming with a NV3500 . I thought most if not all v6 5 speed s10s which were a rare combination to come across were gonna be the NV3500 for the s10 trucks

The only tail housing casting # Identifying New Venture or new process Transmission Tail Housing (Casting 25004) getrag 290

According too online and auto parts locations and cobra transmissions that # 25004 tail housing indicates nv1500 or nv3500 it doesn’t boil down to one or the other.

My stage 1 clutch kit was ordered prior to all this specific for a 4.3L nv3500 we yanked it and did all the knuckle busting work by hand on the cement on jack stands and fit and works well, although I was told after the fact all clutch kits are cross compatible between the two types of NV transmissions that come In the s10 trucks .

This tells me the casings may be no different. Only the bell housing is supposed to identify one or the other and the gearing inside differ
Between the two .

REASON I WROTE ON THIS :

When I get to the tail shaft seal portion of this shi*show !! I’m being told or moreless shown that nv3500 and nv1500 trans only differs internally the casings can be the same or are the same besides the bell housing. Unless there were seal changes in year Make and model.
If I or anyone else was to walk into any auto parts as for a tail shaft seal for 2002 s10 v6 Manual they try sell me a National parts 4528 65mm seal

So if I have 3500 bell housing with I do “ why does my truck call for a 54mm o.d NV1500 output shaft seal after researching. And I was told Only the s10 trucks use the 54mm wether it’s a 3500 or 1500

And the 65 mm and 90mm are for the other Make and models that use the new ventures . Basically it makes it seem like I have a 3500 bell housing and a 1500 tail shaft ? Could that even be possible by a previous owner 🥴.
Can someone explain to me the likeliness of what i actually have as a transmission . It would help to know if I have the NV 3500 In the event I want to keep it for LS swap. Because if it’s a 1500 I’m going to off it.

Thanks In advance
Tire Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Grille Automotive exterior
Hood Sleeve Automotive lighting Gesture Bumper

·
a mintruck is never done
478 Posts
could they had broke the tail shaft and threw on a full sized truck part since these s10 5 speeds are so rare? hopefully somebody will had seen this before and chime in!

·
time to get cereal
5,638 Posts
Not as common as 4cyl 5 speeds, but definitely not rare.

·
a mintruck is never done
478 Posts
could they had broke the tail shaft and threw on a full sized truck part since these s10 5 speeds are so rare?
Not as common as 4cyl 5 speeds, but definitely not rare.
maybe your area is different but those made after 1998 , I've only seen less than 3 on the road and 2 in the junk yard the rest were auto's .about 97 back had something different with the bellhouse below the frame ,my brother's bagged truck took a chunk out of 1 shifter location changed for 98 and up too

·
time to get cereal
5,638 Posts
I mean, they sold quite a few still. Now, if it were a V6 and 5 speed and also an Isuzu Hombre, now that's rare.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
could they had broke the tail shaft and threw on a full sized truck part since these s10 5 speeds are so rare? hopefully somebody will had seen this before and chime in!
This is infact a rare Manual trans/motor for being a v6 and even the Dark blue paint color combination s10 .Supposedly Was far - few in between too even find a 4.3 nv3500 at a dealer even when they were in production. But I really need to conclude what’s what with this trans . I’m not impressed with it even tho it’s great on gas and logically low maintenance.
All I know is I went thru *** on the clutch job “actually” and Finding a tail shaft seal was rediculous. Finally a company told me all s10s used a 54mm output seal . All others NV models in other vehicles were 65’mm and 90mm diameter . That makes a s10 nv3500 particularly rare apparently. The seal comes up as a nv1500 part number theough National parts but the transmission casing/bell housing looks to be a nv3500. There is something bizarre going on. I can’t figure out what I have because the clutch kits are the same for 1500 and 3500. Everything looks the same except for a bell’ house difference at the top bolts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is intact a rare Manual trans/motor and even Dark blue ext cab color combination s10 . Was far few in between too even find a 4.3 nv3500 at a dealer even when they were in production. But I really need to conclude what’s what with this fN trans . I’m not impressed with it even tho it’s great on gas and logically low maintenance.
All I know is I went thru hell on the clutch job “actually” and Finding a tail shaft seal was rediculous. Finally a company told me all s10s used a 54mm output seal . All others NV models in other vehicles were 65’mm and 90mm diameter . That makes a s10 nv3500 particularly rare apparently. The seal comes up as a nv1500 part number though National parts but the trans
casing/bell housing looks to be a nv3500. There is something bizarre going on
I’d much rather prefer someone chime in on my other topic of interest Way more important
“Pilot bushing install “. I’m more concerned if which was explained is normal or I made a mistake . It’s quite the unorthodox situation. Trans guys I’ve called said most peope never asked this question because it’s something most people don’t do wrong and no one can really even give a definitive answer .

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can not see how the racer bearing could possibly seat past flush over a 1/16" or at most 3/32 . That is unless someone sold you the wrong part. it would be a big effort to malform it in. If your trannie pulled up on the dial pins and tightened down I wouldn't worry about it. My memory is going with age ,but I just put one in last week. I believe mine was dead flush. Check u joints for vibration. Front seal if its still off. Should have changed mine , but had way too much cash in parts already. Dont worry so much. Think Your OK.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is infact a rare Manual trans/motor for being a v6 and even the Dark blue paint color combination s10 .Supposedly Was far - few in between too even find a 4.3 nv3500 at a dealer even when they were in production. But I really need to conclude what’s what with this trans . I’m not impressed with it even tho it’s great on gas and logically low maintenance.
All I know is I went thru *** on the clutch job “actually” and Finding a tail shaft seal was rediculous. Finally a company told me all s10s used a 54mm output seal . All others NV models in other vehicles were 65’mm and 90mm diameter . That makes a s10 nv3500 particularly rare apparently. The seal comes up as a nv1500 part number theough National parts but the transmission casing/bell housing looks to be a nv3500. There is something bizarre going on. I can’t figure out what I have because the clutch kits are the same for 1500 and 3500. Everything looks the same except for a bell’ house difference at the top bolts
Dont know if that makes a difference , other than curiosity. As long as the drive shaft yoke , length ,and spindle matches up. Buy both seals ,and return the off diameter one. I believe that was your concern. Running in to cool off ,and back out to get regreasy ,so my apologies if I missed something important. Have a good one !

·
Registered
37 Posts
That nv3500 seems pretty heavy compared to the nv1500 weight wise. That may be false but I did a clutch job on a 03 2.2 / nv1500 last month ,and it seemed light compared to the nv3500 i did last week. course I may have been stronger then. Kinda worked down lately ,and sore as a run over dog. Thats all I can think out except I did see a string of numbers just behind the gear shift on the nv3500 with the 4.3 92ish. Ment to copy those down. I have once again failed to complete the mission.

·
Registered
37 Posts
one more thing. The nv3500 is prone to a lot of weird , other world noises once it gets ,and probably always miles on it. That 03 had 312,000 on the nv1500 and quite as a kitten.

·
time to get cereal
5,638 Posts
I'm pretty sure the NV3500 is larger overall and can handle quite a bit more power than the NV1500. The T5 is quite a bit lighter than the NV1500, I can carry one around without issue. The NV1500 not so much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’d much rather prefer someone chime in on my other topic of interest Way more important
“Pilot bushing install “. I’m more concerned if which was explained is normal or I made a mistake . It’s quite the unorthodox situation. Trans guys I’ve called said most peope never asked this question because it’s something most people don’t do wrong and no one can really even give a definitive answer .
I can not see how the racer bearing could possibly seat past flush over a 1/16" or at most 3/32 . That is unless someone sold you the wrong part. it would be a big effort to malform it in. If your trannie pulled up on the dial pins and tightened down I wouldn't worry about it. My memory is going with age ,but I just put one in last week. I believe mine was dead flush. Check u joints for vibration. Front seal if its still off. Should have changed mine , but had way too much cash in parts already. Dont worry so much. Think Your OK.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There’s a lot of what if’s and are things going right here after this 2 day long clutch job /carrier bearing replacement.
2002 s10 v6 5 speed “Assuming with a NV3500 . I thought most if not all v6 5 speed s10s which were a rare combination to come across were gonna be the NV3500 for the s10 trucks

The only tail housing casting # Identifying New Venture or new process Transmission Tail Housing (Casting 25004) getrag 290

According too online and auto parts locations and cobra transmissions that # 25004 tail housing indicates nv1500 or nv3500 it doesn’t boil down to one or the other.

My stage 1 clutch kit was ordered prior to all this specific for a 4.3L nv3500 we yanked it and did all the knuckle busting work by hand on the cement on jack stands and fit and works well, although I was told after the fact all clutch kits are cross compatible between the two types of NV transmissions that come In the s10 trucks .

This tells me the casings may be no different. Only the bell housing is supposed to identify one or the other and the gearing inside differ
Between the two .

REASON I WROTE ON THIS :

When I get to the tail shaft seal portion of this shi*show !! I’m being told or moreless shown that nv3500 and nv1500 trans only differs internally the casings can be the same or are the same besides the bell housing. Unless there were seal changes in year Make and model.
If I or anyone else was to walk into any auto parts as for a tail shaft seal for 2002 s10 v6 Manual they try sell me a National parts 4528 65mm seal

So if I have 3500 bell housing with I do “ why does my truck call for a 54mm o.d NV1500 output shaft seal after researching. And I was told Only the s10 trucks use the 54mm wether it’s a 3500 or 1500

And the 65 mm and 90mm are for the other Make and models that use the new ventures . Basically it makes it seem like I have a 3500 bell housing and a 1500 tail shaft ? Could that even be possible by a previous owner 🥴.
Can someone explain to me the likeliness of what i actually have as a transmission . It would help to know if I have the NV 3500 In the event I want to keep it for LS swap. Because if it’s a 1500 I’m going to off it.

Thanks In advance View attachment 353764 View attachment 353765 View attachment 353766
This may have been what they ment to say. Commonly referred to as a Getrag, it is also known as a HM290 (Hydramatic), a 5LM60 (Muncie) and a NV3500 (New Venture). As the main differences are internal . Those Young whipper snappers mostly have never turned a wrench. Best to do your own research ,look up the part online ,write it down so you can present the counter person with part number and sku. I have had to take them into the back to find my part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts