S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FLAVOR FLAV!!!
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might be pickin up some 16" Camaro irocs and one of the rims is bent, how much, is it possible, is it worth it to fix this.

·
I have a Civic now
3,786 Posts
Might sound ghetto......

but when one of my rims got bent the guy at discount tire pounded it out with a rubber mallet, and i just did the same thing one another one tonight that had a smaller bend in it, just smack the hell out of it, good luck, use your hand to feel for the bend.

Nathan

·
FLAVOR FLAV!!!
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, that'll actually work, huh

·
ESSTEN Concepts Founder
465 Posts
Just remember, that's ghetto..LOL... I thought of the same thing when one of my 17s got a bent lip. I asked all over and no one will touch it. There's a place in ATL that'll fix one for around $150. By pounding the rim yourself you risk cracking the wheel. Hope that helps..

later
Mike
EC Founder

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
in so cal its about $100 do get it re-hooped which means fixing it

·
32,797 Posts
low_huh? said:
in so cal its about $100 do get it re-hooped which means fixing it
It gets a little cheaper, if you call around.

I found a place that does it for $75 in Gardena.

If the Recycler newspaper is in your area, check the adds in there.

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
96blazer said:

It gets a little cheaper, if you call around.

I found a place that does it for $75 in Gardena.

If the Recycler newspaper is in your area, check the adds in there.
either way, i hope i never need to do this:(

·
ESSTEN Concepts Founder
465 Posts
I'm hoping to find some place local (knoxville) that could take care of it for me. If not, I"ll be sending that sucker off to ATL SOON. I guess I'll be shopping around for some 215/40 tread just to get a little more meat on them. LOL..

Mike
EC Founder

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
If a wheel is bent there is no other way to fix it besides bending it back. I've set up wheels on the table of a milling machine and put it back within .02" using a crowbar and leather pieces to protect the aluminum rim. I set it so I could loosen up the rim a tiny bit and spin it on a indicator to get it true.. .. for the most part brute force is the only way to do it.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
In no way did I tell him to do it his self, I trust myself more than a shop, maybe I should have made that point. There are limits as to what can be fixed on a rim, and it's pretty easy to differentiate between a DYI or take it to the shop situation. I really doubt anyone without the "proper" tools would be able to do it. If you think a shop does some sort of magic to fix rims your for the most part mistaken.

·
ESSTEN Concepts Founder
465 Posts
Hey, I here's a pic of my bent lip. The pic isn't a very good angle but the point is made. Another friend of mine suggested using a rubber malet and a piece of wood to bend it back out.. but I'm STILL worried.

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
yeah that shouldnt be too hard for them to fix:thumbup:

·
Rollin' Low in the 619!!!
409 Posts
hey 96blazer

where did you get your rim fixed? I bent 2 boyds and am in serious need of some info Thanks:jawdrop: :twak: :troutslap :cry:

·
ESSTEN Concepts Founder
465 Posts
What's the width difference......

Hey,
Does anyone know the width difference between a 205/40/17 and a 215/40/17. I'm tempted to go out and get some 215's just to get a little more meat on those 17x7s up front.

later
Mike

·
Registered
224 Posts
um...nope.

You aint gonna bend back an IROC wheel, it'll just crack the lip. Just find another one, they are pretty easy to come by. The way they are cast, they are like abend it once and you are done wheel...lol. There is a place in Indiana and Oho that fixes bent custom heels, but you can probably get another IROC wheel for 100 bucks or less.

·
32,797 Posts
Re: hey 96blazer

1siks-10 said:
where did you get your rim fixed? I bent 2 boyds and am in serious need of some info Thanks:jawdrop: :twak: :troutslap :cry:
It was Avalon Tire & Wheel, I think. I forgot. Its east of the 110 and south of the 105 (south central L.A. area). I was calling a bunch of places that had ads in the RECYCLER. They almost all said $75 for the repair and about 2 days. This was almost 1 1/2 years ago.

Look in the RECYCLER newspaper, the Los Angeles edition has the most tire shop ads, call the places listed in there. You should be able to get some good prices.

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
my friend has a wheel shop in Glendora, Ca.......if you would like the # just leave a post:thumbup:

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts