S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neat board guys, been working on S-10s since the 2nd gens came out, before that it was late model Monte Carlos, so I am a bowtie man from way back...

Looking forward to finding a place to ask questions, because I hate wasting time finding solutions to problems that someone else has allready figured out! I am also a notorious DIYer (My wife will attest to this!) so I love doing stuff myself!

Oh yeah, S-10 is a '95 4x4 Ext Cab (a few slight mods), not a low rider and not a monster truck, just a regular ole truck.

Of course most of my time goes to my 2000 Tahoe Z-71 now, but the S-10 is still lots of fun to work on!

Later…

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's my STG FN-FAL, 7.62 NATO Semi-Auto. Imbel reciever, built with an Austrian parts kit and DSA X-Hardware. I am shooting at 100yrd targets, trying out my new muzzle break. That was taken about 3 months ago, but it was the only picture I had of my truck.

Obviously, when I am not tinkering with vehicles I am tinkering with firearms. In my spare time (what's that?) I am a firearms/personal protection instructor, hence the user name.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Nice, my bro and I both shoot all the time. Unfortunately he is the only one with the money. He has had personal lessons with Brian Enos and he recently purchased a Strayer Voight Infinity .40 for his competition shooting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good! I bet he paid an arm and leg for that one! I am not much into competition, being at the trainer level. I work more with newbies and people who are interested in self defense. I have had some people from class go on to IDPA comps. The found it was a good way to motivate them to keep their defensive skills sharp.

·
The God of Death
36 Posts
welcome aboard!

will that thing put a 4" group @ 1000 yds?
went to the tulsa gun show and one vendor had a custom .50 call sniper rifle that would. I mistakenly asked the $$$. 10G!!! just what i need to target squirrels!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No way! The FAL series rifles were designed as battle rifles, not sniper rifles. This means they were designed with lower tolerances to enhance reliability and durability, which makes accuracy suffer ("built-in-slop" if you will). So you can run them through mud and sand and still keep shooting. To get good accuracy, you must have tight tolerances, which make firearms un-reliable when carried in field conditions. In battle, a malfunctioning firearm is nothing more than a club. Don't get me wrong, they are good rifles, but not capable of extreme accuracy. 300 yards is about all I would try to hit a reasonable target with this thing!

On good benchrest rifles, 1000 yrds is very do-able. The awesome thing about the .50 BMG, is that it has more energy at 1000 yrds then most rifles do at the muzzle!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ummmm, no, sorry. I never was a fan of the M14/M1A. There are a bunch of them around though. Springfield Armory makes are real good one from what I hear.

Nothing against them, but I just prefer a pistol grip configuation when shooting semi-auto.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
straight shooter said:
ummmm, no, sorry. I never was a fan of the M14/M1A. There are a bunch of them around though. Springfield Armory makes are real good one from what I hear.

Nothing against them, but I just prefer a pistol grip configuation when shooting semi-auto.
I hear ya there...you couldn't handle my brothers Benelli Super 90 without the pistol grip. I prefer the accuracy and long range capabilities of the M1A because I do a bunch of coyote hunting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.308 should do it, but a bolt action rifle would be more accurate. Try a Rem 700, or even one of their cheaper 710s. They are more accurate than a semi- and they are half the price. (Springfiled M1As are going for over 1k)

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I love the Rem 700 but i'm generally shooting at running targets 400 + yards away so I need a little speed. I was on Springfield's site and the basic M1's are 1500+

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
WELCOME (Straight Shooter), All this gun talk is given me a HARD-ON so I'll put my baby in. All CUSTOM .30-06 (hand made) Right now I have it dialed in at 400 yards with My buds home loads. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
straight shooter said:
Nice stock! Did you do that yourself? Looks like a Fajen...
NO I could not do work this good it was done by a master gunsmith measured and built to fit me. The action is reworked 1924 GERMAN MAUSER and the stock is YES FAJEN. :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts