S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have straight pipes from the cat back on a 4.3? if so, how do they sound?

·
Gas drinker
132 Posts
Sounds pretty good if you run it all the way out from under the truck.. with a turn down before the axle you will have an headache after about ten minutes of 70 or 80 mph..... I now have a 40series flowmaster with turndown at axle sound pretty good to me..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the ravin 30 or something I think, I dont rmember the exact #. Its the loudest one. Its alright, but I want my truck louder, but if it gonna sound like a tractor with straights from cat back to the bumper I'm not gonna do it.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
It sounds horrible with no muffler on it. The 4.3 isn't built to run straight pipes and the only thing that sounds good with straight pipes is a V8.

·
HARÍA PIS EN SU EXTREMO
6,543 Posts
Dan Plante said:
It sounds horrible with no muffler on it. The 4.3 isn't built to run straight pipes and the only thing that sounds good with straight pipes is a V8.

x2

·
I cant win for loosing.
3,226 Posts
Well mine has no muffler at all, just a 2.5in pipe that splits into two 2.5in pipes and to two 2.5in tips out the side of the bed in front of the pass rear tire, and it isnt loud at all. I can barely hear it over the engine usually, I think it has something to do with both cats still being on there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still considering....

·
hellboundkustomz
2,336 Posts
monzadood said:
i had buddy do that on a 98 or so 4wd with the 4.3 . he put a split off behind the cat and ran duals out the back. it sounded pretty good to me. we are gonna do the same on my 94 4 door blazer.
i guess my buddies truck has a flowmaster, single inlet and dual outlet. thats why it sounds so good. i just assumed it has straightpipe. my bad.

·
VVVthat thing is deadVVV
4,185 Posts
Dan Plante said:
x4

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have that on my 4.3L, your talkin about a Y pipe comin off after the cat then streight back i have it that way and it sounds awesome to me. I have 3'' tips going out to the side also, the only way i like it, but thats me.

·
Ex V8 sonoma member...
758 Posts
Dan Plante said:
LOL, built to run straight pipes? Straight pipes sound nasty IMO. But they did sound decent on the coupple of 4.3's i did them on(a little loud but decent). I had straights witrh no cat on my 95 and christ it was loud!I I have never had straights since.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
i Have the 2.8l v6 that i straight piped, and my buddy has a 4.3 with straight pipes. it sounds good, but mine is about 3x louder

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
glad you searched, but you revived a 6+ yr old thread.

IMO straight pipes sounds like garbage. I dont care what they are on. Now just headers on a cammed up SBC/BBC, sounds awesome.

·
Registered
98 Posts
glad you searched, but you revived a 6+ yr old thread.

IMO straight pipes sounds like garbage. I dont care what they are on. Now just headers on a cammed up SBC/BBC, sounds awesome.
the laws in my state wont let me run that, and the drone drives me nuts

·
Boozebag
9,858 Posts
Man, having a loud rig is just immature (IMO). Having a nice lumpy cam and a low rumble that lets anyone know that your rig means business without screaming "look at me" is the hot set up IMHO. My '91 Dime has a tiny V6 (3.4 - 207 CID) but has a large exhaust and a lumpy cam. It goes ok too (surprises the crap out of alot of the ricers here :p).
It has a low rumble, but is not abnoxious. It sounds like a muffled serious race truck. Idiling through a parking lot in first gear catches EVERYONE'S attention. No need for straight pipes, it gets the message across loud (ha ha) and clear. When I stand on it, it gives a pretty serious sound, not at all like a V6 does.
When your exhaust is too loud, people think you're an ass. They don't understand the concept of a loud system. If you are going to be loud, you had better be able to go fast.
I see so many ricers with way loud fart pipes and they can't pass a girl on a tricycle. WTF?
Loud = rude. :rant:
Sorry, I'm not trying to call anyone out, or saying anyone is bad, just offering an opinion. Please don't take me incorrectly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts