S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4-Door Blazin'
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for asking about these damn Bose speakers again, but here's the deal. I have a 2001 Blazer with the Bose Premium Sound system (the one with the factory amp and the steering wheel controls). I want to put in a new deck but don't have money for new speakers yet so I would like to run the deck straight to my stock speakers......obviously this will require re-wiring (which I am in the middle of right now). BUT, here's the question what is the impedance on the Bose speakers, when I put a voltmeter to them (set to ohms ofcourse) it read 0.6 does this mean my speakers are like 0.5 - 1 ohm impedance or is there a special way to do it. Also if I run an aftermarket deck to speakers with suck a low impedance, will I fry the deck?

Thanks in advance.:headbang:

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Can't do it that way!

An ohm meter measures resistance to DC current.....Impedance is the vector sum of the AD and DC resistances.....think of it this way.

Think of a right triangle.....the DC resistance is one side and the AC resistance is the other side..... the impedance is the hypotenuse of the triangle... so what does all this mean??

You are measuring the DC resistance of a coil....which should be below 1 ohm.....no useful information there....what you can do is contact bose and see if one of their engineers can tell you the impedance fo the speakers.

Hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can measure impedance

I've done it a hundred times, wether it be to make sure there is no short along the speaker wire, make sure a speaker isn't fried, or tuning an aperiodic enclosure. Just gotta know how to work the multimeter. Now to your question about the Bose....I wouldn't be surprised to see them be 2ohm speakers. A lot of the "upgrade" factory stereos use 2ohm speakers, in which case, you run the risk of frying the deck. You can buy an adapter to match a bose stereo to an aftermarket deck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts