S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL, isnt this a charm? The ol' 2001 4.3 Auto 3.42 posi, with intake and exhaust couldnt hang with the Civic, I got my feelings hurt. Which sucks, but its all good, I mean I wasnt mad or anything. Anyway, the story goes, I run my friend that has a 2000 Civic SI 5spd, we kicked at 25MPH, we ran 1/4 mile after that. He pulled about 2 car lengths on me, that hurts. Them lil VTEC's are quick for a 4 banger. Well, I guess that settle's it...4.3's are slow. Ether that or I needed a 5 spd. But I doubt that a 5spd would've got me 2 car lengths faster. One thing is for sure, I'm most likely gonna give up on my 4.3, considering that I lost 2 car lengths to a 2000 V6 5spd Mustang, and a 2000 SI Civic, and I lost by one fender on a 95 Z24 Cavalier 5spd, with Intake and Exhaust, all these runs were with good friend's of mine. So I can tell you that I know what they have. I can honestly say, these 4.3's need help, as far as I'm concerned, I think I'll just put a quiet exhaust on, really quiet, and sell my intake, and just make my S10 show material. I gotta admit, I had the wrong idea when I first got the truck, I figured that I could smoke anything Naturally Aspirated that wasnt a V8, WRONG! Chevy needs to ether do away with the 4.3, or just make it come with at least 250 stock horsepower, cause with 262 cubes, they shouldn't have a problem with that. Thanks for reading

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
Bo_Duke said:
LOL, isnt this a charm? The ol' 2001 4.3 Auto 3.42 posi, with intake and exhaust couldnt hang with the Civic, I got my feelings hurt. Which sucks, but its all good, I mean I wasnt mad or anything. Anyway, the story goes, I run my friend that has a 2000 Civic SI 5spd, we kicked at 25MPH, we ran 1/4 mile after that. He pulled about 2 car lengths on me, that hurts. Them lil VTEC's are quick for a 4 banger. Well, I guess that settle's it...4.3's are slow. Ether that or I needed a 5 spd. But I doubt that a 5spd would've got me 2 car lengths faster. One thing is for sure, I'm most likely gonna give up on my 4.3, considering that I lost 2 car lengths to a 2000 V6 5spd Mustang, and a 2000 SI Civic, and I lost by one fender on a 95 Z24 Cavalier 5spd, with Intake and Exhaust, all these runs were with good friend's of mine. So I can tell you that I know what they have. I can honestly say, these 4.3's need help, as far as I'm concerned, I think I'll just put a quiet exhaust on, really quiet, and sell my intake, and just make my S10 show material. I gotta admit, I had the wrong idea when I first got the truck, I figured that I could smoke anything Naturally Aspirated that wasnt a V8, WRONG! Chevy needs to ether do away with the 4.3, or just make it come with at least 250 stock horsepower, cause with 262 cubes, they shouldn't have a problem with that. Thanks for reading

um, my 4.3 kicks rice ass all day long! i beat a 2001 5.3 siverado with an exhaust system two days ago and i cant keep track of the v6 mustangs and camaros i eat up on a daily basis. hell, i hung with a 67 camaro with a 327, it was dead even till we hit traffic. all i can say is i dont think your driving you truck right.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Yeah I know I posted about street racing but heres the deal. Industrial park near me. Adams ave. 1/2 mile long. No traffic after 8 p.m. So far It's been a 2001 Civic Si with intake and hks exhaust. 3 mustangs with the 6. 2 camaro's with the 6 and a handful of celica gt's and other land of the rising sun wannabe's. Here in NY the import scene is spreading like the plague and truck guys like myself have to hold our own. Been doing good so far.

All I say guy is ......get the truck looked at or learn how to drive....

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
Possible Problems:
1. Bird stuck in your intake
2. Potato in your exhaust
3. Really cheap gas
4. HUMAN ERROR

B

·
0 Posts
the difference between a 5 speed and a automatic is huge for what i've seen. my friend had a 2000 s-10 2.2 automatic with an exhaust and an intake and ran low to mid 19's in the quarter. i have a 1997 sonoma with a 2.2 5 speed with just a intake and ran 17.6 in the quarter. if u want to keep the automatic then i would say u need a chip. the chip help the automatics to shift more precisely and without sliding into gear.

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
also if you weren't already manually shift it because if you do it right you'll go faster then letting the trans shift it self

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOLD ON HERE

FIRST OF ALL, I KNOW how to drive my automatic. When we kicked at 25, my **** was in 1st, TRUST ME I've been driving automatic tons more than 5spd's, so I know for a fact that a 5spd gets the power to the ground lots quicker. Not to mention, yea cheap gas, 87 is what I run. BUT, I just started running 87 two weeks ago, when I ran that Mustang, I had 93 in it, the Mustang also run the SI, pulled it by one fender. So dont tell me that its human error. 87-89-93 Octane dont make a damn bit of difference cause I know, I switched, I couldnt tell a difference at all. Now on something with some internal's or NOS or forced induction, yes it will make a difference, but otherwise, NO. Not on stock vehicles! MightyMouse, if your Xtreme beats Vtec's, then its ether several mod's, or it's a 5speed with a few mod's. Think about it, stock standard cab Xtreme's with auto run mid to low 16's. SI's stock run mid to high 15's. NUFF SAID. This is not a flame, I'm just trying to prove some points, thanks

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
Re: HOLD ON HERE

Bo_Duke said:
MightyMouse, if your Xtreme beats Vtec's
when did i buy a new truck? and when was this an xtreme only board?:confused:

·
The Original A D M I N
18,797 Posts
Re: HOLD ON HERE

Bo_Duke said:
FIRST OF ALL, I KNOW how to drive my automatic. When we kicked at 25, my **** was in 1st, TRUST ME I've been driving automatic tons more than 5spd's, so I know for a fact that a 5spd gets the power to the ground lots quicker. Not to mention, yea cheap gas, 87 is what I run. BUT, I just started running 87 two weeks ago, when I ran that Mustang, I had 93 in it, the Mustang also run the SI, pulled it by one fender. So dont tell me that its human error. 87-89-93 Octane dont make a damn bit of difference cause I know, I switched, I couldnt tell a difference at all. Now on something with some internal's or NOS or forced induction, yes it will make a difference, but otherwise, NO. Not on stock vehicles! MightyMouse, if your Xtreme beats Vtec's, then its ether several mod's, or it's a 5speed with a few mod's. Think about it, stock standard cab Xtreme's with auto run mid to low 16's. SI's stock run mid to high 15's. NUFF SAID. This is not a flame, I'm just trying to prove some points, thanks
My 2 cents and then some.

Octane levels maes a difference. Your PCM is tuned for certain levels. when you up or lower it the PCM has to recalibrate. With this recalibration it is not instantaneous. Recalibration takes usually 2 tanks or more for it to recognize that it is either running lean or rich depending on the fuel used. With that said if you were running 91+ then dropped down to 87 then you are going to experience some lag and issues. Period Needing higher octane for mode that are internals that is true, but you can also prog your pcm to run at a higher rate. This switching between the different grades is not helping your system out. You are just making it relearn. The OBDii is dynamic when it comes to the fuel mixtures.

As far as your **** being in first at 25 on that auto what RPM were you in? I would suggest some serious recalibration on that obdii pcm you have. Your shift points if you are wanting to race will be different than those that you have for normal everyday driving. the auto programmed from the factory is not proged for racing or for heavy acceleration. Until you do make a change your shifting will be useless and any mods you make to your truck will be useless as well.

You want to make your truck learn a new driving habit here is the best thing to do. Stick with an octane of fuel. dont switch. That is something that you need to do period. second to start from new. Unplug your pcm completely and leave it off for 15 minutes NO power to it what so ever. When you re hook it up it will be stock as you got it from the factory. You see obdii learns the way you drive and sticks with that. so if you pampered it the forst 500 miles then your PCM will see that pampered driving you do. If you dogged it then the PCM will see that as how you are friving it.

I do see that besides what i have listed there are some other contributing factors in this. I have to lean on the driver errors. I drive both sticks and autos. I can tell you that i can with a stock truck or car get the same performance out of an auto that i can out of a stick without reprogramming. It is a matter of how you drive that truck and the way you are driving has to be a lot of the issues that you are having.

LunaticSS

96 SS [email protected]

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
I'll back ss on that. Could it be your shifting at the wrong rpm?. Don't tell me what I know. As far as shifting goes, anything above 5000 rpm and you are going to run slower than if you short shift at about 4500-4700. Horsepower drops off rapidly above this number. you want to move backwards in horsepower, keep shifting above 5000. Second, at 25 mph in 1st you are already above your torque peak and have very little horsepower peak left. Ever hear of gearing, even with 3.42's that si is just starting to hit is sweet spot in 1st. Run him from a dead stop and see if its closer. So see, it does ultimately come down to the driver. Put yourself in John Forces funny car and bet you couldnt get it to roll with 6000 Horsepower. He gets it to run low 4's. Difference..........................................THE DRIVER....

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
back when i had my truck i would put a hurtin on civics with there little vtec badgin and all they aint nuthin, about like a celica now i dont even notice the little *******s had a turbo neon mess with me the other nights though, by the time my car down shifted i had already left him hmmm oops

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Boduke,

In my stock(well, except for the throttle body spacer :) )4.3 "AUTOMATIC" using 87 octane, all I have to do to beat a pusstang, fire*****, or any honda short of an s2000 is to simply push the pedal to the floor. Sumthin's wrong witcha truck, man.

:)

·
Da SlOwEsT MeMbEr :(
622 Posts
well... my buddy has a 4.3... and its... really not all that fast guys... i was with him when he lost to a maxima... he couldn't stay with him for ****.. but even maxima's have 6 bangers.. 4 bangers... well dude... i don't know what to tell ya.. 95% of all ricers are extremely slow.. but u have a point.. 4.3 motors don't have much balls, stock that is.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Styles,

Depending on the model, Maximas are damn fast!! I'm not saying the 4.3's are fast, but they are no slouch.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
This may piss some people off but here goes.........For the love of god stop with all the BS postings about beating Pusstangs..Real cute. Unless your juiced or the guy is either drivin a 6 cylinder stang, its not possible. Never heard of an s-10 that runs a 6.0 0-60. Guys, come on. keep the kills real....just makes ya look real doofy...

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
It's getting deep!

You got it right RED....the shat is getting deep in here. There is little doubt that being a chevy 350 that's missing two cylinders the 4.3 has lots of potential. Chevy has just caved into the economic pressures of the real world. If our S-10 came from the factory with 300HP we would be looking at insurance bills that would scare off the average buyer. Trust me, chevy is building these trucks for the "average" buyer..not us performance enthuiasts (sp). So, what that means for us is a lot of work in order to go smoke those ricers. But, all the work has already been done a few times cause the 350 has been around for over 30 years.

So to consistently cook some rice out there (or V-6 Mushtangs) you have to do the basics of building a high performance platform, engine and traction.

And one other thing....aren't civics built in Ohio? Now my Integra is a real ricer...built in Japan!

Be safe out there!

Rick
'92 S-10 Tahoe 4.3L Almost Bone Stock

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
I have a 2.2 and my friend has a civic SI and he barely beats me, I've only beat him once..How can you loose to one..you have a 4.3?? LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
If unsure, why don't you ask for some clarification before spouting your mouth off?

I thought it to be quite obvious that "Pusstang" refers to "V6 Mustang" not "V8 mustang", and although I'm very confident in my ability to stomp a "V6 Mustang", I know that there is no way in hell I could beat a "V8 Mustang".

I'm not into hyping my truck up to be something it's not. That's not my thing. I'm fully aware that my truck is not invincible. Just for $hits and giggles, I'll list some of the cars I've raced and the outcomes, and then you can call me a liar.

Kills
'85 Mazda RX-7(my other car)
"V6" Mustang
"V6" Firebird
Honda Civic(SI or otherwise)
'95 Chevy Full Size
'99 Ranger

Losses
Probe GT
Ford Dually
Viper(real funny :D )
'94 Mustang "Cobra"

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i was with him when he lost to a maxima
when the hell did i ever lose to a maxima, or do u have another friend with a slightly modded 4.3

1 - 20 of 56 Posts