S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i got a question... hopefully y'all can help me out..

im doing a stock floor BD on my 89 standard cab, and i dont know what size square tube to use for the new framerails. i'd like to keep them as short as possible to give me the most drop.

i was thinkin 2x3 box tube with 1/4 wall thickness, it seems like thats the way to go. however, my buddy said to go with 2x2, with 1/2 wall thickness. but i think the 2x2 would flex too much. what do you guys think?

thanks in advance for the replys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey guys thanks for the replys. sorry for askin a question already posted, but i just wanted your opinions on the 2x2 as opposed to the the 2x3.

so you dont think i could get away with 2x2 with 1/2 wall thickness?

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
you really think a 2x2 with .500 wall is gonna flex? i seriously doubt that..thats some thick friggin metal!

are ya gonna stand the 2x3 up, or lay it on its side?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i never thought about laying the 2x3 on its side. is that an acceptable practice? this is the first time im doing pretty much a whole frame, so i want to make sure its strong, plus i plan on beating on the truck pretty good

·
praise the lower'd
1,024 Posts
2x3 3/16 thickness. and lay it so the tall part is pointing up.

its a mini truck not a tank, you could use 1/4" if you really wanted to but imo 3/16 is PLEANY strong. plus the thicker you use you have to haul around all that weight its gonna slow your truck down. esp. if you have 4cyl.

scott

·
DFWminis.com
158 Posts
Mine is 3x3x.25 and I wouldn't use any smaller size tube. You have to keep in mind your exhaust has to have somewhere to go. Too small of a frame will cause the truck to bend like a banana and the doors will be very hard to close. Flipping rect. tube on it's side will only worsen the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea its that "bending like a banana" that im worried about. the exhaust, however, i could care less about, i'll cross that bridge when i get there, haha.

so then the general consensus here is go with 2x3 tube, 1/8-1/4 thick. and laying it on its side is useless. i guess i'll just go with the 2x3, or maybe try compromising and try to find some 2 1/2 x 3 maybe, who knows

·
Rocker layin member
233 Posts
I'd go 2x3x1/8. Like someone said, you're not building a tank. That's what i plan on using when I do mine.

·
Mad man from michigan
264 Posts
SlammedDime said:
Go with a 3/16 wall.
the cost difference is only about $5. a piece 24' long is only $62.

·
Registered
476 Posts
AVTekk said:
Ya do 3/16". And the stock frame is just over 1/8" thick, def not 1/4".
The stock frame is also made stronger by the manufacturing processes used in forming it, and it is also heat treated. Standard Box Tubing has no where near the same material properties as the finished factory frame.

·
Registered
613 Posts
depends LOtown...hydro-formed frames are stronger by far than the old open channel but it's harder to form not to mention HELLA expensive...most people use 3/16" for frame on SFBD trucks...just make damn sure those welds are deep and roll like coins in a row!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts