S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 95 Sonoma ext cab 4.3 5spd. The previous owner replaced the exhaust fromt the cat back less than 2 years ago. The exhaust sounds decent, but I know that it could sound better. I am going to cut the exhaust after the muffler off and install a turndown AND OR I might also gut the cat. The motor has great torque but it needs a little more horsepower higher in the powerband and I think that gutting the cat might help in that department. What do you guys think?

·
Autocross'n Member
363 Posts
You may not like the sound of a gutted cat(I never did).By removing the guts,you're creating an echo chamber that gives the exaust a raspy,ricey sound.If you're obd 1 then just replace it with a test pipe.And I'm not a big fan of turndowns either.You'll be blowing all that condensation under your bed.Probably not good in the long run.

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cat in my 98 2.2 gutted itself and that combined with turndown on the stock muffler sounded pretty damn good, but I do know that the 4.3 sounds totally different than the 2.2. I was afraid you would say something about condensation from a turndown. My 95 was never undercoated, so the underbody isn't protected all that well compared to my 98, which I had a turn down on. What do you suggest I do? Keep in mind, I am trying to be cheap as in less then $100. I also want either no tailpipe showing or two nice tips showing.

·
Autocross'n Member
363 Posts
Well,you could try exiting out the passenger side in front of the rear wheel with some cool tips,like NASCAR style.The effect should be the same as a turndown.Just come off the muffler with a 45* bend to the desired location.

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah I don't want any thing showing before the rear wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts