S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 2.2 with 61k miles. its been overheating the past couple weeks so i thought it wa the thermostat and that wasnt it. i changed the water pump today and still overheating. ive burped the system countless times today and still no. the radiator doesnt have cold spots in it. put a new fan clutch on a few weeks ago. i pressure checked the systme and it held. it doesnt want to build pressure on its own. idk what else to do... maybe i bled the system wrong. someone help:cuss::cuss:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Might be a bad head gasket. My buddys car had that problem and it was the head gasket had seperated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the oil wasnt milky and like i said, it would hold pressure in the system, it just wouldnt build its own pressure... could a head gassket really do that?

·
Registered
168 Posts
might. strange things happen. mine isnt milky and my rear plug gets soaked in coolant and oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im going to run a compression test on it tomorrow to check if that has anything to do with it. im hoping its not a head gasket but im also hoping that it is just so ill know that thats the problem. would it be wise to continue driving the truck with it running like this, i need my truck to get back and fourth to work but i dont have the money at the time to get the job done. ill be doing all the work, i was thinking i would go to the salvage yard and find an engine with good compression and pull it. i would rebuild it so i know that everything is fresh and new, bearings, seals, rings, pistons... it wouldnt take to long for that and i can do it while still using my truck. it doesnt seem to run different, just gets a little hotter then normal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Im driving my truck with it leaking into the cylinder. Buying a parts truck tomorrow so im not too worried and i was driving it for a while like it is and didnt even know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try burping it again. Sometimes that can be a pita. Also feel the hose and make sure the thermostat is opening. Wouldn't be the first thermostat bad out of the box. Another stupid thing is make sure the belt is routed right and the pump isn't spinning backwards. Are you losing coolant? Doesn't seem like head gasket

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive tried burpingit butit wont burp, it wont bubble at all... The top radiator hose gets hot so i think that its opening, althoug it is one of those failsafe types that stays open once it over heats... It isnt losing coolant, im going to do a compression teston the cylinders today...

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
94 2.2 with 61k miles. its been overheating the past couple weeks so i thought it wa the thermostat and that wasnt it. i changed the water pump today and still overheating. ive burped the system countless times today and still no. the radiator doesnt have cold spots in it. put a new fan clutch on a few weeks ago. i pressure checked the systme and it held. it doesnt want to build pressure on its own. idk what else to do... maybe i bled the system wrong. someone help:cuss::cuss:
Holds pressure with a tester, but won't on it's own I'd change the radiator cap first before going further, especially because you say it only runs a little hotter than it did.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
might. strange things happen. mine isnt milky and my rear plug gets soaked in coolant and oil.
Your head is probably cracked, that's the only way coolant can get into the sparkplug hole unless the heater hose going over the motor is leaking. The oil is from the valvecover gasket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok didn't see in the post anywhere about a second t-stat. Yes I know a SECOND one. Yah I said the same the other night when I was looking under the truck but I have a 99 2.2 so don't know it it would be the same for yours. So if you follow your bottom (right had side if looking from the front) hose an you follow that all the way towards the block BAM you will see another's pot for a t-stat. Is this weekend I will be changing that one out like you I have don't the one t-stat an the water pump hope this help

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thing with mine is it runs great and has lots of power. Doubt its a cracked head but i have the 98 i bought earlier ill just drive when i get the needed things fixed for inspection.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Ok didn't see in the post anywhere about a second t-stat. Yes I know a SECOND one. Yah I said the same the other night when I was looking under the truck but I have a 99 2.2 so don't know it it would be the same for yours. So if you follow your bottom (right had side if looking from the front) hose an you follow that all the way towards the block BAM you will see another's pot for a t-stat. Is this weekend I will be changing that one out like you I have don't the one t-stat an the water pump hope this help
The bottom radiator hose goes to the water pump, there's no second t-stat.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Thing with mine is it runs great and has lots of power. Doubt its a cracked head but i have the 98 i bought earlier ill just drive when i get the needed things fixed for inspection.
Beside the possibility of a leaking heater hose, it's a crack thru the water jacket about a half inch above thr head bolt next to the spark plug. It seems to be common with the 2.2 head, I had 3 of them last year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again, there is no leaking in tne system. There is only one thermostat. The system will hold pressure from a pump but will not pressurize its self. Ive replaced the water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, and the radiator doesnt have any cold spots so i know its flowing well...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts