S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
zr2 FTW!!!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got a 98 dub cab sonoma and any time i hit a bump it is so dam stiff and hard hitting sounds like my front end just wonts to fall off. i was wondering what i can do to make it as soft as possible i have a crown victoria and its smoth as hell what can i do to make the suspension getg to the crown vic standard or at least softer? is it the springs? or is it the shock absorbers?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would say its the shocks, I put some monroe shocks on my excab and it hits bumps like a chuck wagon. My wife hates my truck now.

·
It's not rocket science!
143 Posts
Its a truck, Its never going to ride like your Crown Vic. However, I would try new shocks, like KYB or Billstiens to see if you can get better ride quality.

·
zr2 FTW!!!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a truck, Its never going to ride like your Crown Vic. However, I would try new shocks, like KYB or Billstiens to see if you can get better ride quality.
i understand it wont ride like my crown vic but my buddy has a 97 s10 and it rides nice and smoth unlike my sonoma, what are the stock shocks on a s10 and i agree mine probably are gone being my truck has 229,000miles on it. anything else thats not so expensive that will give better ride quality

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
i "slotted" the top of the shock rods to bleed
the gas charge out of my aftemarket shocks to
help soften them up a bit.

i also applied silicone grease to the swaybar bushings
to help the bar turn much more easily inside the bushing.

and probably most beneficial to improved ride quality:
lower your tire pressures...
i run my tires at 28psi front, 20psi rear.
makes a BIG difference in ride quality.
now bear in mind that my truck weighs
~3250lbs. curb weight. its been lightened some..:cool:
if i carry a heavy load in the bed, i air the
rear tires up...

·
Sometimes I'm mean...alot
1,348 Posts

·
zr2 FTW!!!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i "slotted" the top of the shock rods to bleed
the gas charge out of my aftemarket shocks to
help soften them up a bit.

i also applied silicone grease to the swaybar bushings
to help the bar turn much more easily inside the bushing.

and probably most beneficial to improved ride quality:
lower your tire pressures...
i run my tires at 28psi front, 20psi rear.
makes a BIG difference in ride quality.
now bear in mind that my truck weighs
~3250lbs. curb weight. its been lightened some..:cool:
if i carry a heavy load in the bed, i air the
rear tires up...
ok my last question is do i have to remove the spring to get the the shocks? if so whats the best way to put the spring on cause i know i cant compress them without geting the compressing tool stuck took 3 hours just to put a dam low control arm on.

·
Sometimes I'm mean...alot
1,348 Posts
ok my last question is do i have to remove the spring to get the the shocks? if so whats the best way to put the spring on cause i know i cant compress them without geting the compressing tool stuck took 3 hours just to put a dam low control arm on.
Shocks can be removed without removing springs. Also, spring compressors are primarily for struts. Use a floor jack when removing/installing front coil springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts