S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a pioneer head unit in a couple weeks. It was working fine until last night while I was driving all the sound just stopped. I thought the wiring came loose but I checked and everything is fine. Its getting power everything is on. I turn the volume up and and no sound. If you have any ideas of what might be wrong please help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Do you have all of the outputs going to deparate places? If so, it's unlikely that all wiring came loose at the same time. Check to see if you have your mute on. If none of those are the case, try at your own risk, turning the volume ALL the way up. If something is connected you will hear it in the speakers. If it's all at real low volumes you might have wires shorting out. Turn it up only for a second, and you really shouldn't do it at all. Also, do you have an amp connected? Are all outputs from the HU routed to the amp? In that case it is more than likely your amp. Make sure the amp is getting power at the amp, and that all speaker connections are connected. You can try the ghetto tried but definately true method of determining speaker connections: Take a 9 volt battery and jump it to the various speaker locations. If you hear a pop the speaker is connected. However you should disconnect the speakers from the amp or HU as I doubt there's a protective diode inside either unit protecting against involtage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right now all I have is the head unit no subs or amps. turned the volume all the way up and nothing. It was working than all of a sudden nothing.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
???? I have to suggest then if the HU is getting power and no speakers are working then the HU is bad. Take it in on warranty and see what the techs say. If you're really desperate, try direct- connecting one or more of the output of the HU to a speaker you have laying around, something small. If you still get nothing my bet is with a defective HU.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I going take it back in the morning. Im glad I saved my receipt this time last time I bought something it broke and no receipt. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
no no no no!!!!! i guarante that nothing has gone bad in this situation!!!!!!! almost all hu these days have a protection circuit in them to keep them from going bad. the problem is that one or more sets of your speaker wires is eithr touching somewhere or is grounding out somewhere to the chasis. get a multi meter and test ohms on all the speakers. if they all read 4-8 ohms then the wiring is good but if not and 1 of the speakers is blown there is a good chance that while that 1 blows speaker is connected the hu it wont work. test each speaker one at a time then see if it works.....

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
While you are correct, Joey, if he takes readings on each individual speaker the stereo's output amplifiers have resistance of their own, so speaker's impedance + amp's resistance = unkown. As far as grounding something out, on all 4 channels? That's highly unlikely all at once.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Just take the damn thing out and take it to a stereo shop, and ask them to test it.....they can tell you whether its good or bad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy said when he did something he heard a pop in the door speaker. So im just going to buy new ones to see if that fixes it than im not sure what to do after that. Maybe the radio shop thing next.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts