S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
98 Noma ZQ8
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, don't flame, but i must admit i am kinda new to this stereo thing. my last system was installed at a local store because i had no clue. here's the deal. i have a JL Audio 13 W7, i know, huge sub. anyway, what amp should i get to run this thing? i don't really understand this whole RMS, bridged, mono, etc. stuff. so if anybody could just help me out and point me in the right direction that would be great.

·
Registered
746 Posts
RMS wattage is simply the TRUE amount of wattage an amplifier puts out....Companies like Crunch and Rockwood and even Sony and Kenwoods bottom end amps are measured in MAX power.....so when you see $150 for a 1000w amp, you know they're full of shit.......Sure, 1000 watts if lightning strikes it while its playing.....Nowadays, you can expect to pay around 50 cents to a dollar per RMS watt from a quality amplifier...Just make sure you spec out RMS power when you're searching....If the company doesn't show you the RMS power w/o you having to search hard for it, skip it, and move on....

Bridge is simply running two stereo channels in to a single, or mono, audio channel.

·
98 Noma ZQ8
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i alwyas thought that RMS was the MAX wattage. for example, an amp is 400 watts, 800 watts RMS. i guess i'm wrong.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
no, RMS is the amoujnt of power that an amplifier can put out connstantly. do you have the specs for the sub, so you could post them?

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
why use anything but a jl amp with a jl sub. i have 2 10w6v2's in my setup with 1 1000/1 amp powering it and there is more than enough power going to it. i have a pretty good hook up with jl products pm me for more info.

·
98 Noma ZQ8
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so far you guys have been a great help, but what i don't understand is this ohm thing. how do you make you amp run in a different ohm. like 2 ohm or 4 ohm. and do you match the ohms to the ohms of the sub. thanks, this stuff is too involved for me.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Impedimence of a subwoofer is its ohm rating......Say you have a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub......You can either run that sub at an 8ohm load (running the voice coils in series), or run that sub at 2 ohm (running the voice coils parallel)....So, you wanna match that to your amp....So say you buy an amp that puts out max power at 1 ohm....You either want a single woofer thats duals 2 ohm, or two woofers that are dual 4 ohm, etc...

Basically, do this:

Running a DVC sub in parallel will divide the impedimence of each voice coil in two....So say you have a 2 ohm DVC...Running the voice coils in parallel will put the impedimence at 1ohm..

Running a DVC sub in series will add up the total amount of impedimence......So say you have a 2 ohm DVC....running the voice coils in series woud net you a 4 ohm impedimence.....

Following me still?

Now, you take that theory, and if you have multiple woofers, it still works that way....

Say you have two 4-ohm DVC woofers, and you need a 4-ohm load for your amplifier.....No biggie! Run each woofer in series, and then run the pair of subs in parallel..

gimme a few and i'll draw you a pic ;)

·
98 Noma ZQ8
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, thanks X3pro.
so my sub is DVC 1.5 ohm. i know thats odd, but thats the way the 13W7 was built. so how sould i wire this thing? in series so i have 3ohms? that make sense to me.
so now what do i need to look for in an amp? something that can run between 2 and 4 ohms?

·
durty jerz pwns you!!
407 Posts
ONLY USE the jl 1000/1. **** all those other amps.

the jl 1000/1 is meant for the 13w7. more of a pair. i have the 1000/1, it has more features then the memphis and hte kicker 1200.1

the jl amp is EXTREMELY underrated. if u want perfect sound use the jl matchup. dont be stuipd bout it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
SMNW2003 said:
LMAO lets not fall into JL's hype please....:barf:

What features might you be talking about?
:werd:

JL is usually way overpriced...

and there's no authorized internet retailers.....what kinda crap is that? are they too good to be sold on the internet? :rolleyes:

JL can go **** themselves....

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
BlaziN.dB's said:
ONLY USE the jl 1000/1. **** all those other amps.

the jl 1000/1 is meant for the 13w7. more of a pair. i have the 1000/1, it has more features then the memphis and hte kicker 1200.1

the jl amp is EXTREMELY underrated. if u want perfect sound use the jl matchup. dont be stuipd bout it.
1 word

KOVE

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
better amps then JL and better subs.. for the same or less denerro

·
durty jerz pwns you!!
407 Posts
u guys hate jl i see.

yes they are have high prices. true.

the dont hae internet prices bec. some online places dick over companies (its a long story, i asked my stores jl rep. abou it)

and what bout kove? u say 1 word "kove" and...?

u doubt jl but have u used kove and both jl on the same subs? doubtful..

dont hate on other companies tilll uve tried them out or at least heard their shit comprared.

i hate kicker bec i use to have a 1200.1 with the subs i have and i put on a 1000.1 jl and its sooo much louder and better quality. so in that case i can say all i want.

dont hate till u try it out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts