S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
So i got my truck out of hibernation the other day, drove it to school today and the stereo worked fine..for a while..then all of a sudden the sound stopped and just the sub was working, so all i had was bass :rant: , and if i turned it off and back on it would come back, a few times, but then i tried again the 4th time and it still didnt work, any ideas? and another thing, when i was hooking it up and figuring out what goes where, i had it half out of the dash fiddling with wires and the plate at the back of it got SUPER hot, is this normal?
thx

·
Registered
325 Posts
You should have used the correct harness. Double check all your connections, but it could be the amp IC going out. Bad amp ICs are more often then not caused by installation problems.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't bother with that just yet. I take it from you first post this install was done by cutting the stock harness of and splicing the new HU's harness? If it was me I would start by wiring that back in and getting the correct harness for your truck. Then go back over all the connections and if it is still happening, it's probably in the HU.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NEEDAZ said:
Don't bother with that just yet. I take it from you first post this install was done by cutting the stock harness of and splicing the new HU's harness? If it was me I would start by wiring that back in and getting the correct harness for your truck. Then go back over all the connections and if it is still happening, it's probably in the HU.
i think ur right, i didnt install it, i put it back in after i took it out to do the dash, but the previous owner did the install, so could be right, but its wierd cause it worked for the first half hour, then started goin on and off, and the sub still worked..and any idea about the heat?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Heat is one of two things. One, Excessive load. One of the speakers could be bad and have a vary low resistance. I would recommend you check this before putting a new HU in. Or if one of the speaker wires is going to ground the HU would see that as an excessive load. Two, a bad amp IC will often get hot even if the load (the speaker) is good.
How did you make the connections? How did you insulate the connections? Did you change anything at the speakers?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts