S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need a step by step baggin thread for all the newbies here. Ive seen the what do i need threads but how about a simple guideline out there for us first timers in the truck world. Yes I can do it my self learn all the tricks over time, but why do it like that if you can do it right the first time with exp. of pro baggers out here first time. Yes I have a good Idea of how to do it . But I would like a step by step guid for my buddy's that are going to help me so they will trust my knowledge too. So is there a link I can go to and get this or do we need to make one.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
ttunerred said:
We need a step by step baggin thread for all the newbies here. Ive seen the what do i need threads but how about a simple guideline out there for us first timers in the truck world. Yes I can do it my self learn all the tricks over time, but why do it like that if you can do it right the first time with exp. of pro baggers out here first time. Yes I have a good Idea of how to do it . But I would like a step by step guid for my buddy's that are going to help me so they will trust my knowledge too. So is there a link I can go to and get this or do we need to make one.
bagginit.com has very good stuff on how bags work and what each part does but there are so many varibles when bagging a truck that isn't a howto. There are hundreds of combinations on what parts to run which all effect how you install them on the truck and what the owner wants the truck to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read bagginit.com front to back many times. I am sure there is many ways to do it. Im saying your average begginer bag setup. Thanks for the links I will check them out.
Ok I have a over the axel setup right now. I have not put it on yet. I was looking at the bags on leaf setup. Whats the pros and cons of each. because as it stands I need either a four link or do it cheap way and make a 2- link, or make a 3 link since I will have so many extra bushings. So anyone wanna help me out here. I mean I like to think outside the box with things and I dont like just buying something cause its what everyone says. I wanna plan this out fully with my truck. I have a very good welder agreeing to come to my freinds house who has the welder and do this for free but im going to buy him beer and pizza. However I wanna think all the steps out through before I begin cutting my baby to peices. Well when I used to have my baby static dropped, before I sold my beltech drop spindles.
heres my thoughts so far.
*Will the front lay frame without the 2 inch spindles and on stock rims but lower profile tires, I like a dummy sold my 18's so now i want as big as possible in the future.
*Any one wanna give me some advice on building a 3, or 5 link.(i know i could just buy one im a builder)
*Whats the pros and cons of over the axel Vs. bags on lower links.

·
User Registered
1,931 Posts
*wont lay out with out spindles possibly with a heavily modded lower arm and tie rod notch
*advice on building a link measure 5 times cut once 3 link is if you have another way to mount the bags. 5 link is so you can mount bags on the links also reduces axle hop with the xtra linkage
*bags over axle will only get the vertical lift the bag can acheive whereas when mounted on lower links can multiply the lift of the bags a few times over depending upon placment. bags mounted on bars rides a hella lot better then over axle but works

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I stay over the axel I dont need the link for now.
However Id rather get a thick peice of square tubing the same width as the old leaf springs and mount my bushings on it. For the rear links. Was thinking of making one that had the same mechanical look as the one SD used in one of there ads that had nothing but the frame of the truck on it.
on this note I have a few questions regarding this
* was thinking i could drill a hole on the bottom of the square tubbing bigger than the one on the top side of the tubbing for the bag. That way I could hide the hardware up in bar for the bag.
* Do you think it would hurt the strength of the bar. Do you think this would make a strong enough support for the bags?
*Now that the bags should be on the bars and ive built my cross bar for the rear of the truck I will have to run it to axel Does it need a bushing there? Also do you think I need to put it right on the axel or put it spaced from the axel. I know with the bushing I will need to space it some but about how much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it is your oppinion but I like to think things through many many many times. Specially since Ive helped bag trucks for almost 2 years but my buddy had all the experiance. I have a few odds and ends I need answered the rest is magic buddy. I would do this alone but thought maybe people would like to help me out on here if you wanna bash me start another thread and do it cause to me this is serious and if you dont wanna help go outside and flip your switches buddy. I mean seriously dont bash cause I wanna learn. What happens if you dont pass the knowlege and you die. It dies with you dont be greedy.

·
User Registered
1,931 Posts
yea bro your really getting into this id start off simple and mono your leafs including the overload and use bag over axle. whereever links meet something else you need to put a bushing. depending on the wall thinkness will depend if it can take the stress. u'll have to figure out the bushing placment you still need a few more links

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
ttunerred said:
well it is your oppinion but I like to think things through many many many times. Specially since Ive helped bag trucks for almost 2 years but my buddy had all the experiance. I have a few odds and ends I need answered the rest is magic buddy. I would do this alone but thought maybe people would like to help me out on here if you wanna bash me start another thread and do it cause to me this is serious and if you dont wanna help go outside and flip your switches buddy. I mean seriously dont bash cause I wanna learn. What happens if you dont pass the knowlege and you die. It dies with you dont be greedy.
Okay, don't take this as a personal attack. There is tons of information in this forum. 95% of the questions that are asked have been covered one, twice or a dozen times already on this forum.

I could understand wanting to see pictures, but frankly pictures aren't the best way to learn. Getting physically hands on with somebody who has done this (and knows what they are doing) is good for learning.

In the 4 years or so that the bagging forum has actually been on the forum, I've seen nearly every question asked and it's a matter of sitting down and reading through the threads. That is why bagginit.com was started, to try and weed out some of the more common and still commonly asked questions.

I'm willing to answer any question that I have first hand experience with. And like you, I've spent many an hour thinking things over and then visualizing how they need to go. The best thing to do is read through the forum (will take a few days) and look for the names of people who know their stuff and not guessing.

The reason for my comment earlier is that a lot of people don't think things through and then proceed to bag their truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I can see how that made me look like i dont know what I was doing. I saw a pic in a mag of the idea and was wondering if that was a dumb idea or not. I just wanna do it right big once and effectivly without spending money on something I dont need to spend. But I have the means and the ablilty to make most of what I need so why not for the price of making a simpler setup. I dunno Its what I wanna do. I know I can fall back on the simpler plan but I wanna try it.

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
ttunerred said:
yeah I can see how that made me look like i dont know what I was doing. I saw a pic in a mag of the idea and was wondering if that was a dumb idea or not. I just wanna do it right big once and effectivly without spending money on something I dont need to spend. But I have the means and the ablilty to make most of what I need so why not for the price of making a simpler setup. I dunno Its what I wanna do. I know I can fall back on the simpler plan but I wanna try it.
Well, make sure you know what you want to do first. SlammedDime spent months on designing his set up. But remember to ask a question if you are concerned before you start cutting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
hey southern glad to see your an ally and not a foe thanks so much for the help in advance. I wanna learn this properly and effectivly so people wont question what I know. I cant sleep i keep planning this stuff in my head
Im so excited. I just found out today that where my dad works he can bring me some metal for some of the parts I need. Like I want to pursue the bags on the bars Idea. I want to use the thick 2.5 wide by at least 1.75 thick at least 24" long for the arms. I dont know exactly how long to make the bar that goes across the frame in the rear to mount the rear arms to but I will measure that once the bed is off unless someone is willing to tell me how far apart it is from one side of the frame to the other. I read the longer the arms the better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have a 1st gen and would be willing to measure any where you need if thats any help.. i say built not bought.. will be home around 5:30 to check back

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
Step 1: think about buying bags and what set up
Step 2: buy stuff
step 3: install stuff
step 4: enjoy

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
There are Bag Installs in the How to section. There isn't one single one that covers everything, but most of it is covered there and what isn't you should be able to figure out from wiring diagrams on Bagginit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the right parts in my hand and yes I have read many many forums, I was even smart enough to find the search button. Now im thinking things through and if I was able to find the answers in those forums i read they wouldnt be here would they. Maybe I missed it. I doubt it since i was searching for the same questions im asking. And to the people helping me thank you so much. Its so much easier to say search than help and if your going to waste your time saying search you could at least throw some links up there

1 - 20 of 33 Posts