1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.
I have 2 S10 4x4s..
88 and an 89
They have different steering configurations. The 88 has a straight center link with the tie rods attached to the ends. The 89 has a straight center link with the tie rods attached to the center with a welded plate. Is there a reason for this? And are they interchangeable?
The 89 is my driver. The 88 is a parts truck. I need to rebuild the steering system on the 89 along with the upper and lower ball joints. I have swapped in a SB 350 and the welded plate on the 89 center link has a small clearance issue with the oil pan. Not a big deal but swapping in the 88 center link will provide a lot of clearance to the oil pan. Any thoughts will be appreciated.. Thx

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Been there Done it
8,147 Posts
Sounds like the 89 has been modified. If your truck doesn't have lifted front suspension just take the center link and tie rod ends off the 88. If it is lifted in the front you'll have to figure out how to get it to clear. Possibilities that come to mind are raising the front of the engine a bit by shimming the mounts. There actually were some OEM triangular spacers used on some models between the block and mounts. Or maybe some careful grinding on that welded plate.
Personally I'd be a bit cautious with any steering components that have been welded on.
You put everyone in the school bus coming toward you at risk if it breaks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input. You are correct. The 89 has a 6" lift. The plate that's welded to the center shaft looks like it was professionally welded. The clearance issues with the oil pan are comming from the tie rod bolts that extend passed the nuts. I have ground off the excess and have created as much clearance as possible. I have attached a photo that showed this. Looking between the two red areas. You can see the area that has been removed on the bolt flush with the nut. Seems to clear the pan fine now. Thank you for your input. I will just have to keep the steering system and rebuild it as it is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts