S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need you more than valuble help again. On my 1997 GMC sonoma ZQ8 extended cab 2wd. that I am putting a 2001 5.3/4l60e combo in. I am running into problems with the headers.

I am using CP mounts and the sanderson headers i bought as a kit from Jared. I cut the bottom slot off of the mount so i could use the top hole and the engine sits pretty low now. the H3 pan is about an 1" below the crossmember.

The problem I am having is the drivers side header will not let me get the steering shaft in its probably about 3/8" - 1/2" away from fitting. The shaft itself is hitting on the primary tube. I ran into other problems with the headers as well, when the primary tubes on both sides were hitting on the upper control arm ears where the bushings fit. but i just used a grinder with a barrel attachment and ground the extra material away.

any recommendations?
Would shaft problem be remedied by putting a 1/2" spacer between the engine mout and the frame? what should i do.

15,113 Posts
I ran into a similar problem on the Sonoma im working on now. I just ended up moving the entire column and steering shaft over 1" to get the clearance needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts