S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions on what to do with my steering shaft. I'm using camaro manifolds, and I bought a ford f150 u joint, but it's hitting the maifold. I'm not sure how much smaller the flaming river u joint is in diameter, but I doubt it's small enough. Any solutions?

Here's a pic with the dd shaft in it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just slid the u joint on there to get the idea, when it's on all the way it hits.

Well I though about putting the u joint between the firewall and steering box, but won't I need some sort of carrier bearing to support it?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have, but I really don't know much about doing that. I searched with not much luck. I was also worried about how it would look, and the steering wheel would be crooked in the truck.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I put a double u joint at the steering box it would be a strait shot to the column. I tried loosening the bolts holding the column down, but it didn't budge on the firewall.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
How you considered elongating the holes in the firewall so you can move it away from the manifold?
X2^ This is the way to do it. It actually straightens the steering wheel in a 1st gen, IDK about a 2nd gen tho.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I contacted Speedway Motors about my issue and sent them a drawing with all the measurements and clearences. Im going to do a double U joint at the box going to a 1" dd and a 3/4" dd going into that to allow for crush, and the other end of the 3/4 dd into my column. They recomend I have some sort of support on the shaft, so Ill use a heim support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts