S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and couldn't find a similar issue to mine. I have a 97 Blazer 2wd with the usual loose steering. I have replaced the idler arm, then looked more into it and saw that the play is at the arm that comes off the steering box. Should I replace the box or the arm? I have only found that arm at kragen, they call it a pitman arm. Can't afford to replace both right now, suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
depends on what kind of slop you see at it

is it at the centerlink bar end/ball stud end of the arm?

or are you seeing side to side play of the pitman arm shaft of the box?

how many miles we talking here

its not uncommon to have a worn steering box

mine was toasted at just under 200k miles

side to side pitman shaft play in it, no fixing that

pretty common on high mileage stuff
i put a low mileage 83 firebird box on mine that i took off a car i was scrapping

you can find good parts for cheap or free if you get creative

doesnt have to be brand new, good used tight parts are just as good or better often than the new china crap or rebuilt junk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
is it at the centerlink bar end/ball stud end of the arm: Its at the steering box end.

or are you seeing side to side play of the pitman arm shaft of the box: Its like a rotational play if that makes sense. Pretty much when someone turns the steering wheel the shaft rotates slightly before it grabs the pitman.

how many miles we talking here: 161000

I want to put a quicker ratio box on it but I want to make sure its not the pitman arm first. The junkyards around me suck so I cant ever find any decent cars which means Im gonna end up buying new parts which are $$$. From watching the play, I am thinking its coming from the box itself, but it almost looks like putting a slightly stripped wrench on a nut, thats whats throwing me off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The pitman arm on a 2wd is really just a hunk of metal with holes in either end. I doubt very much it is the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts