S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dear s-10 gurus,

New guy here, and have a busted steering column in my 1991 gmc sanoma. I have a 1989 camaro rs also sitting in the yard. My obvious question is will the columns swap over or do i need to search for a parts truck? Any help or advise anyone can give would be awesome! Thanks and have a good one!

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
firewall shape different the boot seal wont fit right

otherwise it should work if column controls same and all on column

such as headlamp dimmmer switch etc

also make sure same type of wiper system

CD4 is most common pulse type, delay

shafts are same from end of column shaft to the steering box

i know because i have an 83 firebird steering box and column shaft on my 91 s10

exact same parts

im 90% sure it will fit and work so as long as length is same from mounting bolts under dash down to the firewall and to the end of column shaft

the F body dahs is way deeper depth from firewall back than in the s-10 trucks etc because the windshield pillar slope is way lower than all the other vehicles in 82 up. it wasa new design and new lower slope of any other vehicle in these years

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firewall shape different the boot seal wont fit right

otherwise it should work if column controls same and all on column

such as headlamp dimmmer switch etc

also make sure same type of wiper system

CD4 is most common pulse type, delay

shafts are same from end of column shaft to the steering box

i know because i have an 83 firebird steering box and column shaft on my 91 s10

exact same parts

im 90% sure it will fit and work so as long as length is same from mounting bolts under dash down to the firewall and to the end of column shaft

the F body dahs is way deeper depth from firewall back than in the s-10 trucks etc because the windshield pillar slope is way lower than all the other vehicles in 82 up. it wasa new design and new lower slope of any other vehicle in these years
SOUNDS LIKE I HAVE SOME MEASURING TO DO. THANKS FOR THE INFO AND I WILL POST MY RESULTS WHEN FINISHED!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOUNDS LIKE I HAVE SOME MEASURING TO DO. THANKS FOR THE INFO AND I WILL POST MY RESULTS WHEN FINISHED!
WELL, AFTER MEASURING THE COLUMN IN THE CAMARO, IT TURNS OUT IT IS TOO LONG DUE TO THE SLOPE OF THE WINDSHIELD. I DID LOCATE A COLUMN FROM AN '88 S-10 BUT IT IS AN AUTOMATIC, BUT IT WORKED! I HAD TO REVERSE THE WIRING HARNESSES FOR THE IGNITION AROUND AND HAD A BIT OF A CLEARANCE ISSUE WITH THE HEADLIGHT DIMMER HARNESS AND THE BRAKELIGHT SWITCH. OBVIOUSLY THE BRAKELIGHT SWITCHES ARE LOCATED IN DIFFERENT SPOTS FOR AUTOS AND STICKS. ONCE THOSE ISSUES WERE RECTIFIED, EVERYTHING ELES WAS STRAIGHT FORWORD. I HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE ELSE WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS I HAD. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP AND I HOPE EVERYBODY HAS A MERRY CHRISTMAS ( OR HANAKA ) AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! LATER.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.