S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered Gun Owner
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been some time since I have been online but was curious if anyone knew or could suggest a fix. I have tilt steering in my 86 s10 and it is getting pretty loose. Without pressing adjustment it moved a good 3-4" upward so think that may be part of the cause of slop in steering.

Aside from replacing steering column. Which i already have before so rather not if i don't have to. Original one when i bought was real bad. Previous owner put one in from automatic and mine's a manual.

But back to point anyone know if it can be fixed? Or should I just start saving up for a better aftermarket one?

·
Registered Hoosier
4,675 Posts
A lot of GM colums from that era are pretty much the same. There was a thread with good pictures, I think it was an F body forum.

·
Registered Gun Owner
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks have to look into that.

·
time to get cereal
3,702 Posts
What good is your post if you don't post the video?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,699 Posts
What he meant to say is, Could you post a link to the video?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Here’s a good write-up with pics from the El Camino forum. It’s not hard, you basically follow your nose. You can rent the puller and plate compressor from O’Reillys or one of the other stores. You can do the job in the truck, just don’t drop a little part down the shaft! Lay everything out in a line as you remove it—the little parts start to add up. You can unhook the turn signal switch down on the column like he does, but you might get enough slack without having to do that. Put some blue thread locker on the three Torx bolts when you get down to them so you don’t have to do the job again.

·
Registered Gun Owner
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here’s a good write-up with pics from the El Camino forum. It’s not hard, you basically follow your nose. You can rent the puller and plate compressor from O’Reillys or one of the other stores. You can do the job in the truck, just don’t drop a little part down the shaft! Lay everything out in a line as you remove it—the little parts start to add up. You can unhook the turn signal switch down on the column like he does, but you might get enough slack without having to do that. Put some blue thread locker on the three Torx bolts when you get down to them so you don’t have to do the job again.
Thanks! Doesn't look too crazy just some time and patience. Now just need to find time to do it. There maybe the real challenge lol.

·
Registered Gun Owner
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this is a little old but thought I would update. Finally got around to fixing the steering column. Truck is rarely driven so wasn't in too much of a hurry. The link provided is pretty straightforward. Didn't have too much issues. Hardest part was making sure dimmer switch for highbeams stayed connected.

But she is nice and tight again and I think steering feels better on highway. Before felt like I was always weaving from all the movement in the steering wheel. Still has some but doesn't feel as sloppy. This and replacing steering shaft from a jeep does make it nicer to drive. Again thanks for the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts