S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some help here, My 2.5 starts then stalls in a few seconds..does this a few times then seems to run after some heat builds up...Changed o2,MAP, IAC, so far.any help would be appreciated.

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
can u keep it running by giving it gas? that would rule out a lot of things......
if you have disconnected or replaced ur battery, obd1 gm cars have to relearn there idle circuit memory..... the usual trick is to keep it running, and drive it in 2nd gear at 40mph for 5 min..... that gives the iac enough time to properly seat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
giving it gas doesnt do anything, ran it to set iac, and batt. is good. acks like it runs out of fuel.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you have a local shop near by find out how much for them to put a scanner to it. I just borrowed one from a friend and it was soo easy. I was able to check the sensors, rpm, temp, ect. within 45 min. They don't have to do the work just give you a list of issues.

·
Cool, Tight, & STRONG....
1,942 Posts
sandfly---

Bear's advice is, like the Limey's say, "spot on"...

The problem is, if you can consider it a problem, is the co$t.

Locally, Mr. Goodwrench charges $89, just to hook up his Tech 2 scanner to your rig. (Yikes!)..

But, because these motors can have "issues", it may be money well spent. You can do it like Member S10den, and throw everything at it, except the kitchen sink, and STILL
not make it run right. I understand that the GM Tech 2 scanner can "see" problems that will not set the SES light, it is a $4500 tool.

·
Wire Splicin Fool :-)
8,692 Posts
Eddie, Tech2 will not see an OBD1 Computer you need the Tech1 little handheld box, much more limited.

·
1,942 Posts
Eddie, Tech2 will not see an OBD1 Computer you need the Tech1 little handheld box, much more limited.
Yep--you are right, Les...I was lost in the OBD2 World there for a minute...

But, still, if you are at the end of your rope, maybe a trip to see Mr. Goodwrench, wouldn't be a bad idea..:cool:

·
Wire Splicin Fool :-)
8,692 Posts
true dat, but i would at least pull codes and test sensors first before replacing/visiting big brother GM. O2 is a good cheap one to just change tho.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Look in the spark plugs thread for updates. Scanners are no joke even for our ecus. It took me through procedures (from the display) to track down problems. Things I would not think of like "tap the ECU and watch the rpms", as soon as I taped it the rpms shot up 600 rpms. I would NEVER thought about doing something so simple to get useful information. I would have gladly paid $89 for this process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well its been a few weeks and still nothing..all sensors are new, fuel pump, filter and tank ..waitin on a cord for my laptop to run windows aldl program..been runnin my lifted astro and eatin fuel..this has been a pain..cleaned out dist. and hall effect too..

·
1,942 Posts
well its been a few weeks and still nothing..all sensors are new, fuel pump, filter and tank ..waitin on a cord for my laptop to run windows aldl program..been runnin my lifted astro and eatin fuel..this has been a pain..cleaned out dist. and hall effect too..
sandfly--

Keep at it, don't give up. The aldl-to-laptop is a great idea..

only thing I can think of, offhand, is that you bought and installed a brand new bad fuel pump (?) Have you checked the fuel pressure delivered?? At today's gas prices, ya gotta get the Iron Duke running and park that Astro.:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey check all of ur vacum hoses i know if i leave one unplugged the truck dies but after it warms up u can disconnect the hoses and it will still run. Maybe theres a hoses not plugged in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would double check the fuel pump I just pulled one out(in tank) and the rubber hose that connects the pump to the hardlines had a hole in it so when the gas in the tank was covering the hole it would run ok then once i turned corners or the gas got to low it would die or not start at all. Replaced the rubber hose and fired first time no problems since.

1988 2.5L short bed 2WD

Good luck I hope this helps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts