S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what got into my head... No, not drugs or booze. o_O

I'm starting to price a swap for one of my S10s.
There is a complete adapter kit made by KMiata that uses a Honda (Accura) K24 engine and BMW 5 or 6 speed.
The high output Accura engine puts out about 225 horsies bone stock. With the right tune (injectors, fuel pump and misc parts), intake and exhaust, it is closer to 300 HPs.
And turbo? Easy 500 HPs.
It takes up about the same room as an Iron Duke and weighs a lot less....

So far:
JDM Engine $1,000
KMiata Swap kit $1495
Stage II Clutch $300
BMW 6 Speed $150 (upull)
Custom intake manifold $700
Header $600

Since I won't be back in Baton Rouge for a while, I'll probably start collecting all of the parts.
Stay tuned...

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno...
I can source everything, but - I guess I have to be there to complete the project.
AND... you know my situation.

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
683 Posts
Sounds pretty sweet, and original, not just another LS or SBC swap that’s been done a thousand times. Plus you’ll get that sweet sweet VTEC yo.
Outerwear Product Font Sharing News

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:ROFLMAO: ^^^
I called my friend at the shop I hang out at when I'm in Baton Rouge. It sounds like I may have to wait a little.
He's had a bunch of financial setbacks.
I hate to say this, I may have to postpone this for a month or so...
No bueno.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,039 Posts
I just sold my 2007 TL. I was noticing how close the wheel base was to the first gen F-bodies... The 258 horsepower 3.2 was running like it was brand new at 169,000 miles. I was tinkering with the notion of an Accord supercharger the made for the 3.2 V6 and how mad everyone would get seeing a 400 horsepower front wheel drive ‘67 Camaro or ‘70 Nova...

The extruded aluminum subframe looked like it wouldn’t have taken much to mount to the old GM F or X body.

VTEC engines are cool, I was surprised how clean mine was with as many miles as it had.

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Nut Engineering

I can’t wait to see you get this S10 started

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be ordering the engine Monday. I'll post after I put in the order.

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Much more detailed research. A lot of stuff points in the wrong direction... Like the intake and exhaust.
But, with enough $$ all that can be overcome.

I'm looking at a turbo exhaust manifold that would point forward. I could use it for an N/A set up until I go turbo.
Looks like I'll have to notch the frame (what else is new)
Custom drive shaft and trans mount for the BMW 6 speed.
Custom intake manifold that points forward, unless I want the intake to go through the firewall.. Uh no.
Fabricated engine mounts.
One or two bonuses - A/C and power steering stays.
Maybe I'll put together a kit...

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a link to my old LUV I sold a while back.
It has gone through some SERIOUS transformation...

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sending one of the guys to the Baton Rouge Upull to source (I hope) a BMW ZF 6 speed box for this project.
If there's no 6 speed, I guess a 5 speed will be cool too.

I saw on you tube that the Getrag 5 speed isn't as stout as the ZF.
Guess that's why the Corvette uses the ZF stuff.
Anyone know anything about this?

Since I will probably go turbo at some point, I should go with the box that has the most bag to it...

·
Head Lifeguard
1,039 Posts
I saw on you tube that the Getrag 5 speed isn't as stout as the ZF.
Guess that's why the Corvette uses the ZF stuff.
Anyone know anything about this?
It’s not. The Getrag will hold fine to about 330 ft/lbs of torque. It was rated for 300. It has a 10 spline input shaft and the internals are set up for medium duty. Dodge put an NV3500 HD in the 5.2 liter Dakota R/T’s rated for 350. If you start launching hard and hooking up, it will grenade and the 2nd gear synchros like to grind if you are trying to bang through the gears. They get a bad rap grenading because too many 4x4’s outfitted with this 5 speed put on 35’s or taller without changing the gears, causing exponential torque stress to the one piece case under load.

The one I had behind the ‘96 Camaro SS LT1 in my S10 did fine when I shifted it normally. No way it was going to hold up to the ‘95 LT4 I have in my S10. The T56 has a 26 spline input and was rated at 450 ft/lbs but will hold up to 500. The Viper had a bigger main shaft and a couple other small internal upgrades and was rated at 550 ft/lbs. I destroyed the 7.625” carrier in my rear with the LT4/T56 combo. That rear held to plenty of burn outs and hard shifts through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with the LT1/NV3500. I don’t think I’d trust the NV3500 with anything over 300hp going to the wheels. That said, my T56 has been awesome with the 8.625” rear and TrueTrack LSD. Wish I had 3.73 gears instead of 3.42’s with the 0.5 : 1 ratio in sixth it’s pretty useless for any speed under 65.

I was looking at an NV4500 5 speed as an option out of a Silverado 4.3, they were rated at 450 ft/lbs but had a granny 1st gear.

The Getrag held its own in the Roadkill Rotsun when they turbo’d the S10 swapped 4.3 NV3500 drivetrain, but again even in that light 240Z the shifts weren’t the quickest, they had to wait for the synchros before 2nd would drop in the gate.

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^ Thanks Bennsb.
This combination isn't going to have the torque that you have, it will be more of a rev machine. Even with 25 lbs of boost, these engines only run to about 350 FT LBs of TQ. Not what I'd call a drive shaft twister...
I guess you can't believe everything on the interwebz.
DOH...:rolleyes:

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked at an S10 set up for the 1320.
Guy wants $2k for the shell. No engine or tranny.
It does have everything in it for drag racing - built rear end, traction links, fuel cell, e pump, complete gauge package, Mallory hyfire control, aluminum radiator, wheels, etc.
Oh, and it has a complete wheelie bar set up... :p I think the PO was a little optimistic...

was thinking of doing the K24 swap into one of my other S10s, but this one is already set up for everything.
It was originally a 5 speed truck, so I can run a hydraulic clutch release.
It is also completely rust free. Too bad the PO murdered the damn truck. It's been primered black.

One thing I don't like about it... it has a 12" pro-stock glass pin on hood. You can't see the right fender.
If I do buy it - that will be gone.
I'll post some pix of it.

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pix...
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

Is that hood ornament tall enough?? 😱

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car seat cover Steering wheel

Nice seats and harnesses

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Nice left control arm... Supposedly a built rear end assembly. It also has a driveshaft loop. If I buy it, I will install adjustable (Heim joint) bars
The truck has a 15 gallon fuel cell in it with a fuel sending unit. It also has a ton of gauges in it. Super tach, fuel pressure, volt meter, oil pressure etc. Battery re-located to the bed, but no electric cut off switch (!?)
It has wheelie bars, but no roll cage.
If this ran faster than 135 MPH, it would have to have a certified roll cage.
A PO had gone to a lot of expense and time to set this truck up - but there are a few weird items that are missing if this actually was a quick truck.
Anyway, it should do well for a K24 swap. If it does go fast (11s or quicker) I'll do the rest of the NHRA requirements.
I don't think it will be that quick NA, but a turbo K24 could easily put this into the 11s.

The one crappy part about buying it here in Carson City... It will cost $1500 to ship it to Baton Rouge. That would go a long way to buying the engine and transmission.
I could pull it behind my D50, but it wouldn't be much fun.
I'll see how it goes for the future.

·
time to get cereal
5,639 Posts
Holy cowl, batman!

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,608 Posts
not just the cowl- the whole damn bat cave- hmmm bet you could get a 454 under there......that would put those wheelies to use if nothing broke before hand.

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah... 454 torque would blow the truck's weezer rear end all over the place.

I was figuring something totally different for a change.
I'm not a Honda fan, but the Acura Integra K24 is a pretty hot little unit.
It also weighs nothing.
Not a torque monster but it can easily wind to 8K without any trouble.
With a BMW 6 gear behind it, this rig could probably be fairly quick.
If / when I go turbo, this truck could easily run 11s and maybe even 10s on corn and a stout tune.

It's all a dream that may be too tired to come true, but I'm on the way.
One thing for sure... it would be different.

Oh, and that bat cave will be long gone...

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,337 Posts
What’s with that big bow in the bar?

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^ I'm not sure. It was like that when I looked at it.
Someone probably used it to jack that side of the truck into the air.
I'm pretty sure I'll b buying it, and if I do, I will replace both sides with moly bars and Heim joints. I'll also reinforce the frame locators.
Pisses me off that I'll have to pay $1500 to move it to Baton Rouge.

·
time to get cereal
5,639 Posts
I've had dreams of building a mid engined S10 with a Toyota 2ZZ-GE and 6 speed manual. With a super short wheelbase like Procycle is doing. With the Lotus parts and superchargers available...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts