S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here go's,,,, it's not really a big deal, the truck starts, but it takes a second or so for it to get idling good, i have to pump the gas a few times to get it going good, i notice that the battery voltage gauge doesn't go straight to 14, it struggels on the way up until i rev it a little. so i was thinking msd 6a ingnition should help this... or new spark plugs????? any help will be appreciated

·
Early Member
3,140 Posts
It could be your alternator.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
mmm.

If your having voltage troubles, I wouldn't get a MSD just yet. They draw more juice than stock, thus increasing your problem.

How old is your battery?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my battery is fairly new, i got it maybe 3 or 4 months ago, could you explain why it might be the alternator? Im not so mechanically inclined but i really really want to learn

·
Early Member
3,140 Posts
Your alternator keeps your battery charged.The more electrical items you use while driving, the more of a drain is placed on the battery. It takes alot of amps to crank your engine. If the battery is not supplying enough volts to operate the fuel pump, it might cause it to be hard to start.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Did you charge the battery before you installed it or did you install it dead and let the alternator charge it?

·
Early Member
3,140 Posts
Have you done a tune-up on your truck lately?
Does this starting problem occur all the time or just in the morning?

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Twirl said:
i installed the battery new, and it couldn't have more that 5-6k miles on it
I know that, but did you CHARGE it first before you installed it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts