S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I make pneumatics
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing what many of you guys on this forum have done and convert the CPI to MPI. I was wondering what parts you guys recommend, where you ordered them from, and how much it has cost you to convert the system.

I have a 4.3L, 02, X-cab, 5-speed.

Thanks

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Most everyones uses the 2114 intake like you mentioned and drills for injector bungs, custom fuel rails/lines, custom adapter to mount the stock throttle body, etc. I have seen this setup cost between $600-1000 give or take.

The real question is, are you planning on some type of forced induction? The stock intake works perfectly fine for naturally aspirated configurations with at most 275hp. I'm not saying there wouldn't be gains as there definitely would be some on an N/A motor, but boosted applications benefit greatly because of the ability to swap out injectors for what you need.

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
First you need the edelbrock 2114 intake manifold.

Then you drill for bungs that you are going to weld in. You can buy them on summit, but in my opinion they are outragously expensive for what they are. When i converted my stock manifold we used .5" id tubing. I think the od was .750" or something. Then we welded(epoxied in my case) the tubing into the holes you just made in the intake manifold. Then we finish bored the bungs on a mill, a big drill press would probably also do. You can also put a chamfer on the top, and cut them down to the same size. You are looking for a finnish size of around .535" or so. You should probably use a reamer to get it to finish size. I don't remember the name of the tool we used, but it had an adjustable diameter down to the .001" or better.

Then you can make the rails. I got an 18" peice from summit, and cut it in half: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...839074+4294849383+4294891681+115&autoview=sku
I am fairly sure that is the 18" rail, check holley's website with the p/n. The ones i got said they had a 9/16" bore through them, but it was really 1/2". I drilled and tapped the ends for 3/8" pipe threads, and threaded the an tubing adapters. It may be a good idea to also weld them as an extra precaution.

Then you need to adapt the rails to the rest of the fuel system. Whatever -an fittings you want to use, then these screw right onto the factory fittings at the back of the intake manifold and convert to -6(the picture isn't what you really get:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...849620+4294906675+4294906726+115&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...849620+4294906675+4294906726+115&autoview=sku

Don't forget a regulator, i have this one, it is tiny, but there are a bunch of different ones you can use: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI-13105&N=115&autoview=sku

Injectors, if you are running it on the stock comptuer you are going to want high impeadence(more than 12 ohms or so). Summit sells packs of six, and there is a guy on this forum that also sells them. You need injector connectors to splice into the factory harness. And don't forget a tune if you are changing the injector size from stock. Your computer thinks your injectors are 23.1lbs/hr or so stock.

Take lot's of pics if you are serious about doing this. It is always interesting seeing the different ways people do this.

·
I make pneumatics
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help.

Its only going to be an N/A set-up for a while untill I get enough money to start a custom turbo system.

·
TrailBlazin'
3,397 Posts
262X02 said:
Thanks for all the help.

Its only going to be an N/A set-up for a while untill I get enough money to start a custom turbo system.
Just buy the Marine intake from Mercury Marine. It comes with fuel rails, injectors, blah blah blah for a little over 1,000 bucks.

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
SuperSS27 said:
Just buy the Marine intake from Mercury Marine. It comes with fuel rails, injectors, blah blah blah for a little over 1,000 bucks.
You can do an edelbrock 2114 for cheeper if you do the work yourself. And, it is lighter by a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts