S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this issue for awhile, but what happens is when the engine is cold, the starter will turn the engine a few times then just start spinning freely, or sometimes it'll just spin freely and I have to try again after a few seconds.

Now I've never not be able to get the truck started, just gotta keep trying till it turns the engine over enough to start.

I've thought about broken teeth on the starter/flywheel, but the problem goes away once the engine is warmed up.

So either thermal expansion is making up for the broken teeth, or it's something else. Any opinions

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
the solinoid on the starter is going bad :tup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
yupp replace the solenoId on the starter. It'll be around 10.00 - 20.00 bucks at autozone. Whats happenIng Is your bendIx Is part of your solenoId and your bendIz Is goIn out. Whta your bendIx does Is kIck the gear out to meet the flywheel gear. And when you let off your starter gear pops back In from the help of a sprIng. I beleIve Its a sprIng. Damn Its been a lIttle whIle sInce Ive ****ed wIth a starter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alrighty....makes sense

stopped at autozone, they want $50.99 for a starter solenoid...Advance Auto $31.88

now...also I noticed my repair manual says "The starter solenoid is not easily removed from the main starter body without complete disassembly. It is recommend that the starter/solenoid assembly be exchanged as a complete unit in event of failure."

Any input on this?

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
:stupid:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts