S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do i have to do to get the bad boy out? i can't see the motor mount bolts, let alone get to them to lift the engine up, like the guy at the parts store mentioned....the bracket supporting the front diff may be able to come off..with air tools (GOD bless the GF's dad w/ air tools....)

any tips?

it's a 91 4x4 4.3l 5 speed....

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
gr40rcapri said:
What do i have to do to get the bad boy out? i can't see the motor mount bolts, let alone get to them to lift the engine up, like the guy at the parts store mentioned....the bracket supporting the front diff may be able to come off..with air tools (GOD bless the GF's dad w/ air tools....)

any tips?

nah its not that hard at all.

acutally easier than my 86 i have a xtra skidplate brace i have to take out.

ok. unhook battery (duh)
on pass side under truck you should be able to see the starter and the two bolts that hold it in place. take out the bolts. be careful the starter will slide twards the front of the truck and want to fall on your head. also beware if there is a spacer or not.
after bolts are out slide starter twards front of truck and tip back side down and it should slide on down. be careful the wires arent the logest in the world. take the wires off and its out. install is same as you took it out.

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
Re: Re: starter removal

Tha_Boom said:

install is same as you took it out.
umm u mean instalation is reverse of removal:thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
???? you sure it's the 4x4? it seems next to impossible without removing that bracket.

I couldn't even get the starter snout past the bellhousing dust sheild with out denting it in a bit first....

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
gr40rcapri said:

any tips?

dont overestimate air tools, especially that GD air ratchet. im a mechaninc, so i work with em every day, but nothing can beat a goold ol fashioned breaker bar

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi: I have an 87 4x4, and I replaced the starter, on it. On it I had to take the exhaust manifold out, then take the bolt out of the pass motor mount, and then jack the motor over. The starter would not come out any other way. There is no room. Later BTK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, thanks for the help guys....i can't believe it's this hard to remove a damn starter...guess it's time to start pullin' my hair out...:bash:

·
Registered
3 Posts
90 4x4 s10 I just replaced starter

Was less than an hour job. I bet your not taking off your skid plate. I took off the two bolts, dropped it down. unhooked the cabling, hooked up new one same way, bolted back up. 30-45min job with friend holding while you bolt on. I was suprised how easy it was, i have a 2door model 4.3l. i didn't even jack it up or put on ramps just crawled under and took off in garage. and i'm 260lb 6'2" man.!! It is just behind the front passenger side tire. 9/16" socket, a wratchet with ext. and a 1/2 wrench is needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm......

There is no skid plate....i've tried just about every method,...the only thing that seems in the way is the 4WD Passenger side support brace....but it's ON THERE....

·
Registered
3 Posts
that sucks, mine was a quick job

i had to twist and pull and tuck and cuss but it did fall right out. went in easier. i had to take nothing out at all. just the two bolts and the two cables to the battery. i'd do it again for anyone. to bad you don't live real close. sorry i can't help man. can you get a pic with a dig. camera and post the pic with an arrow pointing to your problem. what does chiltons manual say.l??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LMFAO!!!

Chilton's is pathetic.....it says, remove the two bolts, and two wires, and remove starter, installation is the opposite of removal.....

I'll see if i can get a pic....

·
Registered
47 Posts
where you able to get it? We are having the same problem on a '92 4x4 5spd 4.3L - We got the cables off, and the starter out of the hole in the block, but I can't get it to come down!! :(

I have attached a picture of where we've got the starter to now - it's sort of wedged up between the tranny and the side of the truck, just need an inch or so more clearance on the side to get it down - can anyone help me figure out how to get it out?

See attached picture

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
another picture - Please, help me figure out how to get this starter out, and get the new one in! :banghead:

[EDIT] I am thinking that I should just jack on the engine, on that side, to shift it a bit in hopes that I can get some wiggle room...
Help! Ideas please!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
did you remove the tranny dust cover.i just did mine about 2 weeks ago i have a 90 blazer 4.3 4x4.disconect batt, remove the tranny dust cover,take out the 2 bolts that hold the starter in,pull it down a little and twist it to get to the wires,then you should be able to twist it some way to get it to drop out.hope it helps....

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
Kinda hard to tell from the pics but, it looks to me like you are trying to take it out backwards... The "trick" is to push the end of the starter that the battery wire and ignition wire attach to UP and BACK at an angle (this is based on where the starter sits RIGHT after you remove the two bolts that hold it to the motor BTW). When you do this, the "nose" (where the gear that engages the flywheel is at) of the starter will drop down allowing you to pull it out. Since you already have both wires disconnected, it will prolly fall out so, be careful. It is kinda like one of those puzzles but, it will come out with some coaxing. From the pics, it looks like you are trying to drop the opposite side out.

You *shouldn't* have to remove the torque converter inspection cover (the round aluminum cover that is right behind the oil pan on the transmission. If you do, that will be even more work than taking the starter out :(. HTH's

Mike Campbell

1 - 20 of 22 Posts