S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently my starter (i think) has been giving me problems. I first started to notice a louder-than-normal electrical-sounding buzzing/click as I turned the key. The blazer would fire right up. Over the weekend, i turned the key in the morning and all I heard was a winding/spooling/grinding? sound. There was obviously juice, but the blazer didn't turn. Turned the key to Off and then tried again. On the third try it fired. It happened again this morning. Both times that it happened the blazer had been sitting for long periods of time in the cold. As I was coming back from lunch today, I fired it up and heard that louder-than-normal buzzing/click before it fired. I turned it off and fired it again. Again there was the click before firing. On the third try it was a nice quiet/normal start. Could this be my starter going? If so, how much of a pain in the ass is it to change?

Thanks for the help.
Vterp

---
95 blazer, 4.3L, 2DR, 4WD, 111k on the clock

·
Registered
498 Posts
Definately need to look into a new starter, this is not engaging the flywheel correctly and will grind the teeth off the flywheel, big repair there. Pretty easy to change, crawl under and you can see starter and bolts right on bottom passenger side. Instructions with rebuilt starter will tell you how to check clearance and add shims.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes its the started. my 95 s-10 4.3 did the same thing and its a bytch to get off. good louck or if youhave the money TAKE IT SOMEWHERE i wish I could have!!!!!!

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
We tired to do the starter in my 91 once..forget it! My mechanic has to put it up on a lift and unbolt the engine to replace the starter!

ridiculous! starters are supposed to be easy replacements.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Your bendix is not holding the main starter gear on the flywheel.

This is damaging your flywheel like crazy and you should get it repaired IMMEDIATELY.

If not, you will have to undergo the flywhhel replacement like I did which costs about $1000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts