S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for about a few months now my truck has been acting up, but it's weird, I can't pinpoint the problem. I think it's the solenoid on the starter, but read on and tell me what you think.

I can start my truck fine if it sits over night. If i drive it for more than a few mins, shut it off, and try to start it it won't turn over at all...nothing. I have to wait til it cools off before it will start again. So for about a month i have just been leaving it running when i fill up or run into the station for whatever and i've kind of "learned" how it acts and plan accordingly. Lately, however, i've moved to a new house, and the drive way has grade to it so my truck sits at an angle. It doesn't seem to want to start AT ALL now. Maybe the solenoid just died? maybe its too hot out(i live in AZ, 110 today). Whatever the case, the long and shot of it is my truck won't start when its hot(the truck not the sun lol). I've done my research and have narrowed it down to the starter solenoid(I think). Is that what it sounds liek to you?

If it is the solenoid, is it something I would be able to replace with a decent set of tools and an average knowledge of cars?

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
umm...i didn't see a "starter" section...and i'm a little retarded :p
Electrical. and no comment.

Or in the engine-specific forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
next question...any chance in repairing the solenoid? or just get a new one? I think i heard you can clean them or something to fix them gettin stuck?

·
I'm slap happy, bitches!
2,178 Posts
ummm if it clicks, it mechanicaly failing, and you can repair it, if the starter dont click at all, the magnetin part of the plunger is bad, and unless you are doug, and have a little shop of horrors all to yourself, forget about trying to fix it.

now, heres what ya do, take the starter off, and have it tested. it's free, and you need a core if you get a new/rebuilt one anyways, so its dual convenient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts