S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 with 113,xxx and I am having some starting issues. About every other day, the starter will spin and not crank the engine. I'll let off of the clutch, let it sit for a second, and then it'll start on the next try. It gives some grinding noises when it does this too.

I don't know jack about starters, so any thoughts on this would help.

Also, has anyone actually tried getting at the starter by the way of the diverside wheel-well. Dosta_customz said mentioned it in post: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?display=show&postid=785942#post785942

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Well the starter is on the pass side of a 2.2 isnt it? So youre not gonna get to it from the drivers wheel well, or any wheel well, you get to it from underneath.

If the starter is grinding and not catching the flywheel then either the flyheel has 'dead' spots where the teeth are messed up or the starter is taking a dump..

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Your starter is on it's way out. If you were hitting "dead spots" on the flywheel then if it free spun once it would always do it until you roll the truck in gear and get the flywheel to turn. You have a bendix that isn't kicking out and engaging the starter with the flywheel. Very common.

On my 2.2 the starter is on the driver's side, although it may be difficult to access from the wheel well. I haven't changed mine, but while changing my downpipe I noticed the starter is easily accessable from underneath the truck

·
97 Pewter S-Dime
26 Posts
I just replaced the starter in my 95 S10, and it was pretty simple to get at from the bottom. I had to take the exhaust loose and the torque converter cover to get the thing to come out, but I replaced it with one of the newer gear reduction units so there's alot more room under there now.

Took me about 2 hours to replace it using just hand tools.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm curiose as to where you got your gear reduction starter from? Mine isn't dead yet, but I'd like to know where it's available. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled out the tranny and put a new starter in today. The fly wheel had a few chips on the the outside edge of the teeth, but I think the starter gear was not getting thrown all the way out. Anyways, I got a new starter and sent the wheel to get machined and new gear ring pressed on. I am putting in a new clutch since I DON"T EVER WANT TO PULL A TRANNY ON A 2.2l S10 again.

Thanks for the help guys.

jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts