S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my truck wouldn’t start, not even crank, well I found the wire between the solenoid and starter motor was corroded and fell apart. I believe the motor itself is good and want to just buy some new brushes with the wire attached. This will also save me from having to remove the exhaust header to remove the full starter. My Q here is does anyone know where I can just buy the brushes alone?

·
Registered
36 Posts
any parts store will sell you a starter rebuild kit for around 20-40 bucks the kit includes those brushes and other high wear parts.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any parts store will sell you a starter rebuild kit for around 20-40 bucks the kit includes those brushes and other high wear parts.
Not true, you would think so but NAPA, autozone, advance auto all do not carry one, I found a local alternator rebuilder shop around here I am going to drop by after work today.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not true, you would think so but NAPA, autozone, advance auto all do not carry one, I found a local alternator rebuilder shop around here I am going to drop by after work today.
Go to the trouble to take the starter off and go to Autozone and get one with a lifetime guarente.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to the trouble to take the starter off and go to Autozone and get one with a lifetime guarantee.
That would take me like 3x as long, the exhaust manifold bolts are rusted and I am sure "heat treated" aka expanded and will would have taken forever to take out.

I went to the local alternator rebuild shop and bought the brush assembly for $40, hooked it up, bench tested the starter and viola problem fixed.

FYI you can get out the starter w/o taking off the exhaust manifold. You just need to take the starer apart on the truck, the 2 long bolts from the end remove the cylinder part shown above from the rest of the starter (gear portion), this way you can remove it in 2 pieces from below the car, much much easier IMO.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I took mine off while the truck was sitting on the ground in about 20 min. Its not hard to do. Way easier than the 4.6L Mustang starter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts