S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, as it's been getting chillier, I've noticed that when I go to start when it when it's been sitting a while and it's cold out, it'll kinda make a buzzing whirring sorta noise? It's not the typical click click sound of a starter that's gone out, it definitely sounds as if it's spinning over or trying to at least. It'll do this the 1st time I turn the key, but when I turn the key a 2nd time, it starts up like nothing happened. I replaced the starter this summer and that was really not fun and took me the better part of a day, but it's been working fine since then. It's only on cold starts on colder mornings. If it's recently been run or if it's relatively warm outside, it'll start like nothing's wrong. Never really had this happen with the old starter. Battery's fine. Any experiences or advice? I want to get this figured out before it leaves me stranded somewhere in the middle of winter. 馃槙

94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
unhook battery- then check your cables at the starter- and just lossen the bolts a little and wiggle the starter then retighten. either you have a just touching connection or the throw out is hanging up.Either can be affected by temp also.

Reactions: TennesseeHusker

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll be sure to check on those... When I have time. Probably tomorrow...

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I did that stuff last night. Started up alright then. This morning wasn't all that cold. When I went to start it up, it started on the 1st try, but it did grind a little bit. Guess I'll just do some more adjusting and see where that takes me...

Registered
This is EXACTELY what the new starter did that I bought and installed myself which i describe in another thread above. The first winter I had to do the try twice approach which always worked. Spring time rolled around and it worked fine. The second winter it only did the spinning gear thing a few times. Hoping this winter it doesnt do it at all.

Yes, its an unreasonable pain in the rear to change the starter on this truck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Loosened the bolts, shimmied it around a little bit more, then tightened it down again but with a little bit more torque on Wednesday. Started up fine the last couple days, no weird noises or anything. Looks like I got it figured out.... But as I was driving around today, right as I was getting close to my apartment building, the truck started handling really weird in turns. Pulled into a parking space. My passenger side front tire was a little caddywampus. Checked underneath. Initially, it looks like the cotter pin on the upper ball joint fell out or broke or something. Point is it's not there anymore and I'm guessing the nut loosened up a little bit. I'll have to tackle that tomorrow before I have to go to work on Monday..... Always something......

And Sandberm, I agree. You'd think it'd be easy to change the starter on a 1993 pickup truck, but nope.... Somehow, they managed to make the space just tight enough that you have to fiddle with it for a good bit before you can get it in or out of there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts