S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone through well over $200 worth of wood and labor in trying to build a box I like for my standard cab! I want 4 12" and I know it can work because I had the same setup in a 1st gen which had way less room! Anyone know where I can find a box that will actually work?

Any leads would be very helpfull.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
yep it is..i have a box for 2 10's or check out offthehook's one..

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is so common place though. 2 10" for S-10's...just sounds kind of weird to me. Wanted to go above and beyond that and take it to the next level with 4 12" because that is not something you see all the time.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Good luck. If you chop the jack bracketry out, lose a TON of legroom, and mount your amp somewhere out of the way (under the driver's seat, on ceiling, in a center console, etc) you still probably can't get much better than 0.75ft^3 per sub. That's small as hell for a 12. What you need to do is a blow through. That's the only way you will get 4 12's in a standard cab and have it right.

I've only seen 4 12's in a regular cab once, and that was in a 98 Dodge halfton, those have TONS of room compared to S-10's.

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But with a badpass or anything with a bass port really ruins the sound inside the cab unless the windows are down. I had four 10's in my 1st generation and won a couple of awards around here.

It would have to be one hella sealed box with individual chambers...if I had duel voice-coil subs and a really high-powered amp it is very possible to make this truck really sound off with some poundage.

Going for an ALL Alpine system, it's going to cost for 4x Alpine Type R's and their best amp going right now. Just don't like cross-breeding stereo equipment. When a guy has a Fosgate amp, Lightning Audio subs, and maybe a miss-match MTX shoved in there also it just ruins the good looks! Especially if you are one of those people that buy the cheapest CD Player they got on display and wonder why your high's suck.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
A blow through has nothing to do with being ported or running a bandpass. All it consists of is cutting out the rear of the cab and the front of the bed and sealing them together to allow you to run a box into the bed area. This way you can get proper airspace and not have a stereo that sounds like total ass. If you run 12's in boxes 1/2 the recomended size you'll have a loud stereo, but it will play lows like a 6x9, the 3db downpoint will be VERY high.

And I hope the mismatching equipment thing isn't a shot at me, as my system works great for what I need it for. And with my new amp rack cover (no pics yet), everything looks very clean.

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, forgot about that. If I still had my old truck I would have no problem cutting the thing up. Now that I have a nice pretty new 2nd Gen I wanted to hold off cutting it up for at least a year!

:sawzall:

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Maxwolf said:
Oh yeah, forgot about that. If I still had my old truck I would have no problem cutting the thing up. Now that I have a nice pretty new 2nd Gen I wanted to hold off cutting it up for at least a year!

:sawzall:
Same here, I'd have chopped my 89 S-10 in a heartbeat (although I could have probably kicked a hole through the rust instead). Now with this truck being nice and all I don't want to do any permenant mods (still have a few months of payments left).

·
Registered
746 Posts
Elemental Designs makes subs that are made for small sealed boxes......I have one eD 12k in a box thats only 0.7cu ft BEFORE sub displacement.........I'm feeding it 765w RMS.....bumps nice and loud :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts