S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Been there Done it
7,049 Posts
Since you are going old school with the engine, why not get a manual valve body and just shift it. Just eliminate the electronics entirely.
I'm sure you could locate a simple kit or even an on off switch for the TCC lockup. Which really helps to keep trans temp down when cruising.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is for a buddys 65 Tempest Wagon with a 428.
He wants a cruiser,not a race car and doesnt mind spending a little for a controller.

·
Randy
268 Posts
Look at the MSD Atomic. 2 guys I know of use them. Been good so far. Another member of the Transmission Brotherhood says he has used several without problems.

·
Randy
268 Posts
US shift makes a good one too.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone offer a 411 or other GM PCM thats been modified to do only TCM.
I may have a couple spares,would just need to come up with wiring harness,which Im sure pick and pulls would have.

·
Randy
268 Posts
I may have a couple spares,would just need to come up with wiring harness,which Im sure pick and pulls would have.
I cant answer that. I do know that any oem computer will require a way to monitor. TPS, MAP, MAF and VSS. The atomic only requires a TPS and VSS.
Download their instructions and it will give more data on that. Cheap controllers are just that cheap and risky.
You could look into a early diesel computer. 91-93 before the engine was computer controlled. Those have a PPS instead of a TPS. They still use MAP and VSS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
sloppy mechanic give you a break down on how to do it

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im a little confused at the need for crank positon sensor input.
I dont remember any other controllers needing that input
and on a carbed old school motor its not a trivial thing.
Wondering if I use a 411 out of a 4l80e vehicle and just turn off the vats and codes he lists,if I will need.
Thanks for posting that Harley

1 - 15 of 15 Posts