S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so heres the deal
95' 2.2 standard trans 84,000 miles

i went to start the truck today after work and it would crank but not start after trying for about five minutes it started (dont worry i wasnt cranking for a solid 5 minutes). It was running fine. Then i left my house about an hour and a half later and got 500 feet down the road, coming to a light it stalled. I was still rolling so i popped the clutch and was driving around all night and shes fine.

I have absolutely no idea what could be causing

a month ago i had the following replaced. Pretty much a good part of the fuel/ignition system.

This is what was replaced when i bought the truck in the beginning of june.

Spark Plugs
Wires
Coil Packs (both)

Fuel Lines
Gas Tank
Sending Unit
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter

If anyone has any sort of ideas please let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could be a sensor, could be wiring, could be spark related, could be ignition switch, could be fuel system.
Basically you need 4 things to run an engine:
1) Air - Are you breathing? Ok we have air. Check the air filter just to be safe. Also could be a clogged Idle Air motor. When it won't start try to give it a LITTLE gas to allow more air in. If it starts, could be the IAC motor clean of better replace - only about $30 bucks.
2) Compression - you said it ran fine the rest of the night so for now we can assume you have decent conpression.
4) Spark - Pull a wire & hold it NEAR (about 1/4") a bolt on the engine, are you getting spark? NO Spark? Plugs, wires, Coils, Ignition module, Crank Sensor in that order.
3) FUEL - Likely culprit if spark isn't your problem.

To Check for a fuel problem:

When it wont start try spraying a LITTLE starting fluid in the throttle body to see if she tries to start. If she tries you know you are not getting fuel. Now its time to figure out why...

You can disconnect the fuel line & place it into a gasoline safe container, crank the engine to see if you have decent gas flow. Now reattch the fuel line. Did you get fuel?

NO fuel flow? Fuel filter, fuel pump or pump wiring?

Yes you have fuel flow? Computer is telling the injectors the wrong thing. Sensors that control fuel delivery at Start up are MAP (Manifold air pressure) sensor, IAT (Intake air temperature), TPS (Throttle positioning sensor). Crank possition sensor. I really think that is it. You can try unplugging the MAP & IAT (may work for TPS also) one at a time & trying to start the engine. This will cause the computer to use default setting & may allow it to start. If not you can try to replace the crank sensor - side of the block towards the middle near the oil pan.

Since you didn't know where to start & gave little information when you origionally posted, this is the best I could suggest. If it still gives you a problem, you might be better going to a shop where they can hook up scanners to better diagnose the problem.

Good Luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it definitely has spark and i checked the fuel pressure and it was fine. its just a little baffling. thanks for the help

·
my truck is slow
500 Posts
gonna go with battery might be going dead? idk only thing that makes sense to me if u drove it around a while and its fine(alt recharged it some)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont think so the battery is a week old and i when i first had the problem i was cranking it for 5mns and it was fine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts