S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at new stalls. im looking at a 2400-2800...guy says i should get around 2600 on my mild 350. will this be good with my .450/.460 lift cam and vortec head setup? also this is a daily driver- to big of a stall for daily driving?>

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey v8s10 that would be fine on the street,it will make a big difference when you hit the ol peddle,instant tire smoke.I run a super street fighter from TCI,its rated at 3400-3800 on a typical modified 350 with a healthy cam and i never had a problem with it yet

·
Registered
745 Posts
conv.

I ran that combo before I changed to 700R4 and 3.73's ,makes for some good fun drivin.,I would stay around 2200/2400 with that set-up and cam,(unless you intend to change to a longer duration cam in the near future).You will be able to tell a difference when you take off,and it wont hurt your mileage too much,I would think that you run around these RPM's at cruising speed with your combo, for a street ride your converter should stop slipping just before your normal cruise RPM to avoid to much heat build that will greatly shorten the life of your trans .Always be realistc to yourself as how you really use your truck when making performance decisions and you will stay a happy driver.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just said 'huh' cause I think adding a stall will make the truck a little more intolerable for everyday driving. I think you'll be okay with the stock stall, but that's only my opinion. I don't think we really need stalls since our trucks are light and don't take much to get going. You'll just have more traction problems unless you already have a tricked out rear suspension. You probably need a bigger cam before you can really take advantage of a bigger stall anyway.

The stall is the automatic transmissions way of coupling the power from the engine to the trans. If you need a rough idea of how it works, picture a household fan. If you put another fan in front of it, it will eventually start to spin too, but not instantly. It takes a little while for the other fan to get up to speed with the first fan because they are coupled by air instead of being directly connected. The stall convertor is kind like two fans and instead of air, it uses transmission fluid to provide a coupling. By changing the pitch on the blades, the rpm at which the fans couple can be changed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
you could also look into a saturday night special converter,it will stall somewhere around 1800rpm,it will help alot when your sitting at a light where the truck tries to creep forward on the brakes,my dad runs this converter with a 268 hydraulic cam and it works like a dream.You cant even tell theres one in it while runnin in traffic.I would also put a tranny cooler on it nomatter what way you go,cant be to safe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts